Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «40/178»
  Go to:
mrdeathjr Nov 12, 2017
Quoting: beko
Quoting: mrdeathjrAnd if works good in stock frecuency, imagine how runs between 4.8 - 5.1ghz

At least congratulations for now you have a best single thread performance cpu,
Thank you :) Will try once I'm more familiar with my new rig.

Youre welcome

Depending actual cooling solution could be overclock only cores more used (intel coffelake supposed add posibility of overlock per core)

Example if more cores used are 0,1 then could be up this cores to 5.0ghz (or more if is possible) and other can be put at 4.0ghz for example

Reduce 300mhz in other cores give better temps and also could be disable another cpu extensions like SGX - TSX - VT-X/VT-D if dont use virtual machines and especially AVX/AVX2 this extensions up cpu temp normally around 10 degrees

Without begin overclock must be disable any save energy extensions like as Intel SpeedStep

https://ark.intel.com/products/126685/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-Processor-9M-Cache-up-to-4_30-GHz

^_^
maspeber Nov 12, 2017
Some more testing with Vega56, Ubuntu 17.10, m-bab-Kernel 4.13.11, Padoka Stable ppa for mesa 17.3. Ryzen 1700@3,8 and wine-staging 2.20. In total runs very nice. Played for some hours and there where no point where I got desperate :). Performance with 2560x1080 is normally btw 40 - 60 fps, nearly everything maxed out (no hairworks, shadows middle, high population density), combats are fluid.

In villages the performance drops to 20 - 30 fps - dont wanna play in Novigrad :()

Most works fine, only missing textures at entrances

The load of the graphic card is not so optimal (watch -n 1 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info). The GPU clocks only to 99x (max boost is 1590). Seems that the firmware isnt optimal - I used oibaf mesa 17.4 but I had a lot of flickering and as I uninstalled it removed the firmware from m-bab-Kernel-package. But now the card uses only around 50 Watt - so its ok and performane is good :). Hope I can thrust /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info - looks some fishy to me.

In total I am very impressed with the state of Wine atm.
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
Quoting: maspeberSome more testing with Vega56, Ubuntu 17.10, m-bab-Kernel 4.13.11, Padoka Stable ppa for mesa 17.3. Ryzen 1700@3,8 and wine-staging 2.20. In total runs very nice. Played for some hours and there where no point where I got desperate :). Performance with 2560x1080 is normally btw 40 - 60 fps, nearly everything maxed out (no hairworks, shadows middle, high population density), combats are fluid.

Thanks for posting your benchmarks! I'm planning to buy Vega at some point (either after custom models will come out, or after refresh next year). I expected it to be more stably around 60 fps though. CPU doesn't seem to be the bottleneck in your case.

Quoting: maspeberThe load of the graphic card is not so optimal (watch -n 1 cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info). The GPU clocks only to 99x (max boost is 1590). Seems that the firmware isnt optimal - I used oibaf mesa 17.4 but I had a lot of flickering and as I uninstalled it removed the firmware from m-bab-Kernel-package. But now the card uses only around 50 Watt - so its ok and performane is good

The latest firmare is usually here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/amdgpu

But I don't think it will differ from your case. Please post your findings in the Wine bug: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=42592

Feel free to open a Mesa bug too, if you think the driver or firmware are the bottleneck.
andda715 Nov 12, 2017
Looks like we have the same CPU with same frequency (1700 @3.8) where the main difference is my GTX 1080 and your Vega 56.

You sure do get much better performance overall. :-)

But looks like we get roughly the same in Novigrad/villages where for me the game is always running a constant 18-22 with everything on ultra or everything on low (give or take 10%) no matter if in middle of nowhere or main squares of Novigrad.

So CPU bound for sure, but now it looks like even the Wine and/or AMD GPU drivers are CPU bound in certain areas.
Could it be related to physics or something like that?
Definitely looks like it is not using more than one/two cores.
Used the wine task manager to set affinity on my cores. If I disable 14 of the 16 logical cores I get roughly 16-18fps, disabling 12 gives ~18-22.

Various constellations to optimize CCXs usage give minimal changes (kernel 4.13).

Thanks,
Anders
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
Quoting: andda715So CPU bound for sure, but now it looks like even the Wine and/or AMD GPU drivers are CPU bound in certain areas.
Could it be related to physics or something like that?

It's not dropping for me in villages. I get stable 40 fps on average with RX 480 all around in Velen (but I never got to Novigrad yet, so didn't test it there).

I didn't set affinity, but I build Mesa and Wine both with -march znver1. I doubt it helps much though.

The fact that much stronger Vega produces same / worse result than RX 480 suggests that something is not working right.
beko Nov 12, 2017
Do test Novigrad. It's not the usual ImagineBigTownHere. It is a freakin huge and lively town ?
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
Quoting: bekoDo test Novigrad. It's not the usual ImagineBigTownHere. It is a freakin huge and lively town ?

When I'll get there :) I don't want to spoil the game since I'm playing it for the first time. I've kind of paused now, since those distorted / invisible monsters do tend to get annoying. I'll wait for a while until they are fixed.
beko Nov 12, 2017
So do I ;) Didn't get much sleep the last days.
Shmerl Nov 12, 2017
So far I've spent some time decoding in-game inscriptions in Glagolitic and Old Permic.

See some results (WIP) here: https://witcher.gamepedia.com/Modern_alphabet
andda715 Nov 12, 2017
Here are some screenshots from Novigrad, would be interesting to see comparisons from that location and angle using other cpus/gpus if possible. Once you get there of course. :-D
I hope the amount of spoilers, if any, in the pictures are minimal!

Witcher is an awesome game and I agree that Wine is doing great showing of its graphics.
For me just a +10 avg/min fps or so and I would give it a gold/platinum rating for sure. :-)

"big square in Novigorad" ~20fps @ 1080p

with the following settings, all on ultra/max except hairworks off to allow comparisons:

Then one in 1024x768 with everything on low/minimum settings (~22fps):

EDIT: hrm, if above fails try the following: https://imgur.com/a/uQyZb

Thanks,
Anders
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.