Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «62/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: mrdeathjrBuy ryzen cpu thinking about wine is bad choice but in other tasks case video encoding, 3d rendering, virtual machines is really good

It's not bad if games are properly parallelized. Games that load just one core are really badly designed. You shouldn't need 5 GHz monster to have good performance.
libgradev Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: libgradevNope, this rig has a TR1950x in it.

So that's 16 physical cores, 32 virtual ones and using 4 core complexes. So why is limiting to 0-7 worse for you than 0-4? Something surely doesn't work right.

I guess Thread Ripper support in the kernel is still flaky.

Correct and quite possibly!!

This could be related to the performance issues the high end NVidia users are seeing...?
libgradev Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: mrdeathjrBuy ryzen cpu thinking about wine is bad choice but in other tasks case video encoding, 3d rendering, virtual machines is really good

It's not bad if games are properly parallelized. Games that load just one core are really badly designed. You shouldn't need 5 GHz monster to have good performance.

FWIW - it's not the system. I installed Win10, to test, and I'm seeing good core distribution and 100% GPU load. This yields (as mentioned earlier) >100fps @1080p...
mrdeathjr Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlIt's not bad if games are properly parallelized.

Games that load just one core are really badly designed.

You shouldn't need 5 GHz monster to have good performance.

Yes if games using correctly multi core dont be appear this problem

But as youre said and is truth, most games dont use correct many cores, only few cores with higher frecuency

Almost forget wine dont use correctly multi core

Resuming: games dont use multi core properly and wine dont use multi core correctly

^_^
Ehvis Jan 9, 2018
It's also easier said than done. It's not just about supporting multiple cores, but being able to split up the load from the highest loaded core. This is not an easy or obvious thing because some tasks simply can't be split. This is also true for OpenGL (and DX) stuff where there is an amount of work that must be done on a single thread. If that thread starts dominating the speed, that's it and only higher single core speed can help you. This is where the new API will help in the future, but it won't help in current games.

There may be another thing why parallelisation is limited to a smaller number of threads. It's fine to split completely separate tasks into separate processes, but when you have to split a single task or related tasks, you will take a performance hit. Devs may not be willing to do that.
mrdeathjr Jan 9, 2018
Quoting: EhvisIt's also easier said than done.

It's not just about supporting multiple cores, but being able to split up the load from the highest loaded core.

This is not an easy or obvious thing because some tasks simply can't be split.

This is also true for OpenGL (and DX) stuff where there is an amount of work that must be done on a single thread.

If that thread starts dominating the speed, that's it and only higher single core speed can help you.

This is where the new API will help in the future, but it won't help in current games.

There may be another thing why parallelisation is limited to a smaller number of threads.

It's fine to split completely separate tasks into separate processes, but when you have to split a single task or related tasks, you will take a performance hit.

Devs may not be willing to do that.

Very good points and as your said is very difficult solve this situation*

*For this reason higher frecuencies are required for now

In my tests is common find wine use first core (core 0) at maximum and other with low charge**

**some exceptions case lotr war in north - medal of honor airbone when wine use both cores (core 0-1 at maximum) without csmt (with csmt appears low performance)

Personally recommends if stay using other tasks case information apps send to cores unused and leaves cores 0-1 only for wine

Example: taskset -c 1 gkrellm

However some games in wine use only core 1 at maximum case: truck racer, farcry 3 and others

^_^
Shmerl Jan 12, 2018
No progress on the distorted monsters fix freeze so far.
Shmerl Jan 18, 2018
It's a pity, since it seems to be the only game breaking bug for me. May be a few AMD users can sponsor recent GPU for Józef Kucia?
libgradev Jan 18, 2018
I haven't played a lot recently but I'm yet to see this freeze on my Vega64 system...
Faattori Jan 18, 2018
The freeze only happens with an experimental patch. The patch is not in any release versions.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.