Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «98/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Apr 30, 2018
Quoting: ajgpI have a few other games to go so will probably wait a while til either the OpenGL WINE implementation is providing better performance, or until Vulkan has a way to elegantly deal with Stream Output.

Both will take a while.
Mohandevir May 2, 2018
Mohandevir:

"I've been able to install and make Steam's Witcher 3 start following cRaZy-bisCuiT's how-to, with Wine 3.7.

In fact I copied the game folder of my Windows install to my wine prefix. This said, it's really laggy and slow. Better than stock Wine but not really playable. It's far from the Windows version with the same hardware (i7-3770, GTX 960, Nvidia 396.18). Any clue what might be wrong?"

Shmerl:
"Better use this thread for it."

Thanks! Didn't tought about this one.

I'm using DXVK 0.42 with Wine 3.7. Didn't know about the regression with Nvidia driver 396.18. Will try driver 390.

Found this thread:
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/issues/267

Totally noob in _GL_NextGenCompiler... Is this a xorg.conf parameter? How do you configure that?
Cmdr_Iras May 2, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ajgpI have a few other games to go so will probably wait a while til either the OpenGL WINE implementation is providing better performance, or until Vulkan has a way to elegantly deal with Stream Output.

Both will take a while.

True, but I have waited this long. plus my games backlog is almost 20 games deep at this point so I feel I will have enough to fill the time. :)
Shmerl May 2, 2018
Quoting: MohandevirTotally noob in _GL_NextGenCompiler... Is this a xorg.conf parameter? How do you configure that?

It's an environment viariable. Set it to 0 when launching the game:

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0
Mohandevir May 2, 2018
I think I will skip the _GL_NextGenCompiler stuff... Nvidia just released 396.24 driver... Today. Nvidia are really active in the DXVK thread to support the "users & team".
Shmerl May 2, 2018
Quoting: ajgpTrue, but I have waited this long. plus my games backlog is almost 20 games deep at this point so I feel I will have enough to fill the time. :)

Same here. I've never played the full game yet and still stuck in Velen. Avoiding spoilers is a bit hard though :)
Avehicle7887 May 2, 2018
Quoting: MohandevirTotally noob in _GL_NextGenCompiler... Is this a xorg.conf parameter? How do you configure that?

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

Time for me to make a note of this for future driver updates ;)
Mohandevir May 2, 2018

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

In Wine... Duh!

I'm quick on the pick-up if you tell me often enough. Lol!
Avehicle7887 May 2, 2018
Quoting: Mohandevir

__GL_NextGenCompiler=0

In Wine... Duh!

I'm quick on the pick-up if you tell me often enough. Lol!

If you launch your game from a bash script (.sh file), you can add it in. An example of my launch script for Path of Exile in Wine:

Quote#!/bin/bash
cd "`dirname "$0"`/.."
export __GL_NextGenCompiler=0
export WINEDEBUG=-all
export WINEARCH=win64
export WINEPREFIX="$PWD/data"
cd "$PWD/data/drive_c/PoE"
"../../../bin/wine64" ./PathofExile.exe & disown

This way the environment variable is applied automatically at launch.
Shmerl May 2, 2018
Quoting: GuestAt last I got everthing working...

But I have to say...all those tutorial on reddit and Youtube are just horrible and confusing for newbies!

I will make a detailed one....

You mean for using Wine in general, or for configuring TW3 in it? I thought today you don't need tweaks, it pretty much works out of the box.

I maintained a howto here, but there isn't a need for it today.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.