Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «108/178»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Jul 30, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ArehandoroBut fails to launch from the terminal.

You likely are launching it incorrectly. When you run the binary with Wine, you have to be in the directory where the binary is located.

I was likely doing it wrong indeed haha. Thanks all for your help!
TobyHaynes Aug 13, 2018
I've been watching the Witcher 3 on DXVK progress with great interest. And sooner or later there will be a sale of the Witcher 3 where I can pick up a copy.

I've experimented briefly with Steam on Wine a couple of years ago. I have a GOG account and a HumbleBundle Account. Which store provides the easiest route to getting Witcher 3 up and running on Ubuntu (presumably 18.04.1 although I'm still on 16.04 LTS)?
Shmerl Aug 13, 2018
GOG releases are easiest to use with Wine, since they provide standalone DRM-free installers (which you can easily use in separate Wine prefixes). You can download them on Linux using lgogdownloader.

If you download using the browser (not recommended), make sure to select "classic installers".
drlamb Aug 14, 2018
I'm likely hitting the limitations of MESA/radv (18.1.X - Solus) but performance is quite good on my Vega FE with averages in the upper 50s. I still get hit with major stutter every so often which drops the frame rate down to the teens. I'm going to finish the other game in my backlog (darksiders 2) first while I wait for new wine/mesa/dxvk to hopefully improve the situation.

3440x1440
Maxed Settings - (Nvidia specific gimmicks turned off of course)
YoRHa-2B Aug 14, 2018
If you are hoping for the stutter to be fixed: It's straight-up impossible to fix or even improve.
Shmerl Aug 14, 2018
Quoting: YoRHa-2BIf you are hoping for the stutter to be fixed: It's straight-up impossible to fix or even improve.

Can shader compiler itself get faster?
Shmerl Aug 14, 2018
Quoting: GuestMore like could precompiled shaders be think?

I think the problem with DXVK was that shaders were genereated dynamically, and somehow there was no way to use cache approach there (i.e. you can't know in advance what the generated shader will end up like, so you need to generate it each time)? May be @YoRHa-2B can correct me. Actual SPIR-V compilation to machine code is probably already cached by radv and other drivers.

Though I'm not quite clear why this process is non deterministic. Aren't input shaders (DXBC) a fixed thing? So the output should supposedly be a fixed thing too. If the input / output relation can be cached, the transpiling step can be skipped.
Mohandevir Aug 16, 2018
Maybe this could be of interest to some of you, but I created a Witcher3.desktop in usr/share/applications which starts a script to launch DXVK's "The Witcher 3" and added the desktop shortcut into my standard linux Steam client library. I have no benchmarks to back it, but I could swear it's the smoothest performance I get from TW3 (aside from windows native, obviously). On top of that, my Steam controller gets fully supported, without falling off the window range (my experience with sc-controller from Kozec with high precision camera).

Are there tools related to graphics performances in the Steam Linux client? I didn't expect that.
Shmerl Aug 16, 2018
I usually create .sh launcher for each game in Wine, so I can easily plug into logging and modify launching logic.
Mohandevir Aug 16, 2018
That's quite what I did. It's just that I launch it via a .desktop file so that it may be added to my steam library as a "non-steam games" for Steam Controller support. Is it possible to add a .sh file to the Steam Library? I must admit that I didn't verify that.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.