You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through Paypal, Flattr and Liberapay.!
  Go to:
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Ehvis commented on 14 December 2017 at 10:21 pm UTC

ShmerlNot really directly related, but Józef Kucia is now working on D3D12 → Vulkan translation layer: https://source.winehq.org/git/vkd3d.git/

I hope he'll have time to continue to work on DX11 issues too.

Apparently he's been doing that for over a year, so it should be fine.

BeemWu commented on 16 December 2017 at 9:20 pm UTC

I bought Witcher 3 on GoG and it works :-)

Shmerl commented on 17 December 2017 at 4:02 pm UTC

Sapphire Nitro Vega 56 is out, but it's still quite monstrous, requiring 3 8-pin power connectors. I'm contemplating whether to skip it altogether, until Vega refresh that will bring power requirements down with switch to 12nm production. On the other hand, it has a potential run TW3 with close to 60 fps already now if it will work well with Linux 4.15.

Skipping can have another benefit - by the time Vega refresh will come out, amdgpu+radeonsi for Vega might improve further.

libgradev commented on 19 December 2017 at 11:19 am UTC

OK - well I've had time to test this on my new workstation now (TR1950x + Vega64) and I'm seeing similar 'load capping' issues to the NVidia guys.

I'm stuck @ <70% GPU load and seeing ~43 FPS @1080p and ~33FPS@3440x1440 on Ultra settings (HairWorks off)...

FYI: This issue doesn't happen on my current machine (i7-2600k + RX480) - I'm getting 95+ utilization.

Ehvis commented on 19 December 2017 at 1:17 pm UTC

libgradevOK - well I've had time to test this on my new workstation now (TR1950x + Vega64) and I'm seeing similar 'load capping' issues to the NVidia guys.

I'm stuck @ <70% GPU load and seeing ~43 FPS @1080p and ~33FPS@3440x1440 on Ultra settings (HairWorks off)...

FYI: This issue doesn't happen on my current machine (i7-2600k + RX480) - I'm getting 95+ utilization.

Not surprising that you hit CPU limits on a Vega64. Still much better than the CPU limits on Nvidia though. What would be interesting is you can profile it to see if if AMD peaks usage in the same functions.

I'm curious, does anybody know whether it is possible to get Hairworks working on Wine?

Shmerl commented on 19 December 2017 at 1:56 pm UTC

EhvisI'm curious, does anybody know whether it is possible to get Hairworks working on Wine?

I wouldn't bother personally, since if I've understood correctly, they on purpose prevent GPU acceleration in it if it's running on AMD GPU. Not sure how they detect it though.

Shmerl commented on 19 December 2017 at 4:44 pm UTC

Can anyone with Vega please test, if invisible / distorted monsters patch causes a freeze or not? Józef Kucia needs some help with testing.

See https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43872#c36

Freidonuten commented on 19 December 2017 at 5:56 pm UTC

Hey guys, maybe I found something. What I did was getting PhysX to work and the game seems to perform a whole lot better, I mean framerate is more consistent and those second-long freezes are completely gone. I don't have numbers but the framerate seemed to me like 15-30. Gpu is still ulitized only around 30-40% though. My setup is AMD A8-7600, GTX 960 with blob, LM 18.3 Cinnamon and wine-staging 2.21.

If anyone with nvidia could confirm this, I'd be more than happy.

Ehvis commented on 19 December 2017 at 6:02 pm UTC

FreidonutenHey guys, maybe I found something. What I did was getting PhysX to work and the game seems to perform a whole lot better, I mean framerate is more consistent and those second-long freezes are completely gone.

Can you elaborate on that "getting PhysX to work"?

Freidonuten commented on 19 December 2017 at 6:42 pm UTC

EhvisCan you elaborate on that "getting PhysX to work"?

I just followed steps on this page
https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/wiki/PhysX

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts