You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «129/178»
  Go to:
Linuxwarper Jun 18, 2019
Your most welcome:) I removed the Meditation mod shortly after so I don't have the chance to figure it out. I'm pretty sure it wasn't caused by something serious as a bug or regression. In hindsight I think I know what caused it, or at least contributed to it, kernel upgrade/downgrade. Of course having the game use merged files probably did not help. For example one file that I merged pertained to Witcher senses, and so when I used senses it stuttered and froze. But this was for brief moment.

I upgraded kernel but in doing so I experienced issues. The one that led me to downgrade, temporarily as I had little plans to play, was slower boot time and in general just didn't feel as seamless as with kernel that came with the distribution (Kde Neon). I tried at least three of recent kernels but I ended up sticking to 4.20 for upgrade. Perhaps I need to do a more thorough testing to find the right one.
In any case, I noticed when kernel was changed that it was had a initial impact on the game. As if a cache of game files relating to game world had been expunged and was now being cached again. That brings up a question I want to ask: have any of you experienced that?

To your question about DXVK Pang, no I stick with the version Proton use.

Shot I took in Skellige. If there was ever a time for 4k monitor with great panel...it would be to experience places like this.
Spoiler, click me
Shmerl Jun 18, 2019
Every time you change your kernel, your shader cache is invalidated, since it's based on the driver you are using. Cache are SPIR-V shaders complied into GPU machine code. And that's being reset, when your GPU kernel driver changes, to avoid some incompatibility issues. In case of Mesa, that also is reset when you have a different Mesa build. Shaders compilations can cause temporary stutters. Once they are chached - things should improve, considering you also have dxvk Vulkan pipeline cache built up.
Shmerl Jun 19, 2019
Just found a great mod - Sensible Map Borders. It turns off forced redirection mechanic when you reach invisible map border. That improves exploration quite a bit.

For some treasure hunts, I decided to travel normally, instead of using fast travel. So taking a boat from Novigrad to some far away southern Velen area could be fun, as long as it's reachable by sea. But one annoying part wasn't letting me through due to the invisible wall (not really sensible in that area):

With that mod, you can sail through just fine. Geralt keeps his remarks about "edge of the world" and etc. Which are useful, since in some cases you indeed can fall of the map.
Linuxwarper Jun 19, 2019
How stable is that mod? No bugs? Have you tried AutoLoot Configurable All-in-One?
Shmerl Jun 19, 2019
I didn't encounter any problems with this mod - it's fairly small, just one script file. But I didn't use it long. Haven's seen that autoloot one. I try to keep mods to the minimum.
Pangaea Jun 19, 2019
Looting is half the fun! :D

(Just wish merchants had more money - there are probably mods for that, but for now I'll just stick stuff in the stash - must be 50 swords in there by now)
Shmerl Jun 19, 2019
Quoting: Pangaea(Just wish merchants had more money - there are probably mods for that, but for now I'll just stick stuff in the stash - must be 50 swords in there by now)

I try to collect unique swords, but usually sell generic ones. One huge money drain is buying all those mandrake and cherry cordials to make White Gull. Money gets tight, but I found, that nekker claws, ghoul blood and drowner brains sell quite well. So hunting them actually pays, especially since they respawn in some areas in big numbers.
Linuxwarper Jun 19, 2019
I do the same. Tousain merchants have more wealth, so if it's urgent to have better shops I'd persue that region.

For mods I try to keep it minimal too, but some I simply must have. I don't like to cheat so I restricted autoloots radius. And looting is part of the fun indeed. That's something the mod compliments. Now I can go towards barrels and other containers and see if there is loot in them, I find that nicer than sensing to highlight the loot with yellow outline.

The AutoLoot dev said he hoping to make it more balanced, as he didn't like the unfair aspects of it, but unfortunately he's mia.
Shmerl Jun 19, 2019
Btw, the sensible map borders mod has one issue - if you save somewhere off the map, loading back can teleport you to some weird location. So better don't save outside the regular map areas.
Shmerl Jun 20, 2019
I found a way to fix it. You need to basically disable (comment out) everything in these functions in r4Player.ws (should be added to that mod and merged if necessary):

OnStartTeleportingPlayerToPlayableArea
OnTeleportPlayerToPlayableArea
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.