Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «132/178»
  Go to:
Pangaea Aug 16, 2019
How has your playthrough fared recently, or did you change to another game?

Haven't posted for a good while since I stopped playing the game for some reason. But I do intend to finally get into the expansions. Been busy with RimWorld for a long while now. It's a great game, and runs natively :)
Shmerl Aug 16, 2019
I also paused, due to other things coming up, but I hope to get back to it :)
Shmerl Sep 2, 2019
Testing TW3 with Navi card (Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT) using Mesa master / llvm10 (Mesa-aco doesn't support Navi yet):

Nice boost in framerate - 110+ fps.
Shmerl Oct 18, 2019
A new milestone for Mesa-aco-navi, it's is finally working for TW3!

Performance so far isn't better than llvm yet, but developers didn't yet focus on Navi optimizations, but were wrangling GPU "hazards" that were causing hangs.

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT, 1920x1200:

radv/aco:

radv/llvm:

Shmerl Nov 1, 2019
Finally got an 144 Hz adaptive sync monitor (LG 27GL850-B, 2560 x 1440). Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT pulls around 85 fps in it in TW3 (using aco):

Enabling adaptive sync was easy. Just added VariableRefresh setting to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf like this:

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "AMDgpu"
    MatchDriver "amdgpu"
    Driver "amdgpu"
    Option "VariableRefresh" "true"
EndSection

Also, KDE compositing should be disabled, for monitor to start adjusting refresh rate to the fullscreen window.

I kind of paused playing TW3, while waiting for this monitor, but now I'm going to get back into it :D

Last edited by Shmerl on 1 November 2019 at 12:54 am UTC
Shmerl Nov 10, 2019
I found an interesting area, hidden on the slope of the plateau that overlooks Pontar (near the nest of the royal wyvern from Phantom of the Trade Route contract).

Not sure yet what that is. Looks like some ancient ruin, with circular ledge carved into the mountain with cobblestone ornaments. It's pretty hard to notice, unless you try climb on the mountain from the river side (which I was doing for fun and saw that structure). But you can't get to it climbing up, you need to get down to it from the top of the plateau.

View from the top:

When entering the stone circle:

Looks like some kind of altar with some statues around it, probably to Melitele?

Magnificent view of the Pontar from there

I suppose it could be a part of some quest, or may be just one of those hidden ruins that are scattered around. Interesting to discover such places sometimes :)

UPDATE: There is also an entrance to the cave, which is actually connected to the cave where refugees were hiding from the wyvern, with another unmarked cave exit leading straight to the wyvern nest (I missed that cave entrance before).

UPDATE2: Yep, the statue looks like one of young Melitele in St. Lebioda's Hospital hospital in Vizima.

Last edited by Shmerl on 10 November 2019 at 4:14 am UTC
wvstolzing Nov 10, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlNot sure yet what that is. Looks like some ancient ruin, with circular ledge carved into the mountain with cobblestone ornaments.

possible spoiler:
Spoiler, click me
It's an important location in the Hearts of Stone expansion -- can't say more, lest I spoil something!
Shmerl Nov 10, 2019
I figured it's part of some quest, since it looks too elaborate to be random. But I guess they didn't expect players to explore random mountains :)

Last edited by Shmerl on 10 November 2019 at 5:34 pm UTC
Shmerl Nov 14, 2019
Comparing latest Mesa master with llvm10 and aco (this time in Velen, where it's apparently more demanding on the GPU than in Novigrad, despite common misconception):

llvm:

aco:

So basically the same.

Actually in less demanding environment (Novigrad, Golden Sturgeon) llvm is couple of FPS faster.

Last edited by Shmerl on 14 November 2019 at 3:30 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.