Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «167/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jun 1, 2020
I didn't get past him yet. I'll try again later today. It is crazy hard even without NG+. Some attacks are very brutal (like that bat swarm). Fail to evade it, and Geralt is done, Quen or no Quen.

Last edited by Shmerl on 1 June 2020 at 10:41 pm UTC
Shmerl Jun 2, 2020
Managed to complete that fight (on DM). A few useful tips if anyone needs:

1. Apply vampire oil to the silver sword, naturally.
2. Drink Superior Tawny Owl. Since that part of the story always takes place at night, it should have constant effect eventually without toxicity penalty. As usual, it's great for recharging stamina to bring up Quen as soon as possible (no point using any other signs).
3. Drink Superior Full Moon (+1000 vitality for 180 seconds). This is a very useful potion for this fight, even more than Black Blood. With it being active and full vitality Geralt can survive one bat swarm hit.
4. Regardless of the above, avoid bat swarm attacks at all costs.

The best tactic, when Dettlaff starts summoning bats (you can notice that), run in the opposite direction from him, and wait facing him. When bats are all concentrated around Dettlaff, right away roll to the side. After that they will not change the direction of the attack already and will hit the spot you were at before the roll. But if you roll away too early - bats will hit the place you rolled to, and if you roll too late bats will hit before you'll have a chance to roll, so time the roll at the right moment, that's the key.

After figuring that out the fight was manageable, but they surely demonstrated quite well, why witchers should never take contracts on higher vampires. It was the hardest fight in the game, even worse than living statues in Extreme Cosplay.

Last edited by Shmerl on 2 June 2020 at 5:13 pm UTC
Shmerl Jun 2, 2020
Just finished the main story line in Blood and Wine (Triss arrived in the end which was a good surprise). Great story writing in it as usual!

Also, a fitting video for the game finale (they should have added it as an outro):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqz8Je7P0s
Linuxwarper Jun 2, 2020
I am on my second playthrough with Death March difficulty. This playthrough I put focus on signs, but I recently grabbed a potion of clearance and redistribute my points differently. This time I used some more points back on melee attributes. I've sadly not mastered the combat yet.

@Shmerl
With you having a high RDNA GPU, are you playing at 1440 or 4K? I'm playing at 1080 and constantly think of how 1440 or 4K would be like with an even better monitor.

Last edited by Linuxwarper on 2 June 2020 at 11:59 am UTC
Shmerl Jun 2, 2020
Quoting: Linuxwarper@Shmerl
With you having a high RDNA GPU, are you playing at 1440 or 4K? I'm playing at 1080 and constantly think of how 1440 or 4K would be like with an even better monitor.

I have 2560x1440 / 144 Hz monitor with adaptive sync. 4K is really an overkill if you also want high refresh rate / framerate for smoothness.

With RX 5700 XT, I get around 80+ fps and more in the game on max settings (hairworks disabled).

If you want a good monitor, I recommend this one.

Last edited by Shmerl on 2 June 2020 at 3:35 pm UTC
Linuxwarper Jun 2, 2020
Quoting: ShmerlI have 2560x1440 / 144 Hz monitor with adaptive sync. 4K is really an overkill if you also want high refresh rate / framerate for smoothness.

With RX 5700 XT, I get around 80+ fps and more in the game on max settings (hairworks disabled).

If you want a good monitor, I recommend this one.
It's still a while before I can even consider going for another build, but I plan to upgrade to same as you have now eventually. Unless 4K becomes significantly cheaper. But I played Witcher on a smart tv, and the big screen and nice colors made it look so great, and I already have a decent monitor (1080). But If there's one game I'm eagerly waiting to test out with new specs, it is Witcher. Also I did hear 4K is overkill and that 1080 to 1440 yields more than going from 1080 to 4K? Not to mention it would be difficult to maintain performance on 4K and keep costs down.
Shmerl Jun 2, 2020
4K is just too demanding. High framerate paired with high refresh rate at 2.5K is a better experience I think, than 4K with lower framerate.

Pushing to something above 100 fps (let alone approaching 144 fps) with 4K in TW3 needs some monstrous GPU. Current high end GPUs at least are most optimal for 2560x1440 / 144 Hz. We'll see how RDNA 2 will comapre.

Last edited by Shmerl on 2 June 2020 at 10:56 pm UTC
Linuxwarper Jun 2, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl4K is just too demanding. High framerate paired with high refresh rate at 2.5K is a better experience I think, than 4K with lower framerate.

Pushing to something above 100 fps (let alone approaching 144 fps) with 4K in TW3 needs some monstrous GPU. Current high end GPUs at least are most optimal for 2560x1440 / 144 Hz. We'll see how RDNA 2 will comapre.
I was thinking of 4K60, but I heard going from 1080 to 1440 is more impactful than going from 1440 to 4k. And I do want to have high refresh rate monitor for my next setup.
Shmerl Jun 2, 2020
Quoting: LinuxwarperI was thinking of 4K60, but I heard going from 1080 to 1440 is more impactful than going from 1440 to 4k. And I do want to have high refresh rate monitor for my next setup.

I'd say going from 60 Hz to 144 Hz monitor is more impactful than simply increasing resolution. Refresh rate > resolution value wise (at least until certain degree).

I.e. I consider 2560x1440 144 Hz better for gaming than 3840×2160 60 Hz.

Good site on the related topics: https://blurbusters.com

Last edited by Shmerl on 2 June 2020 at 11:54 pm UTC
Linuxwarper Jun 3, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: LinuxwarperI was thinking of 4K60, but I heard going from 1080 to 1440 is more impactful than going from 1440 to 4k. And I do want to have high refresh rate monitor for my next setup.

I'd say going from 60 Hz to 144 Hz monitor is more impactful than simply increasing resolution. Refresh rate > resolution value wise (at least until certain degree).

I.e. I consider 2560x1440 144 Hz better for gaming than 3840×2160 60 Hz.

Good site on the related topics: https://blurbusters.com
Reassuring to know you also think that:) I've bookedmarked site for now. If you want another resource too (for monitors), I highly recommend: https://pcmonitors.info/. I only mention it because the admin does great work and he should get more traffic to his site.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.