The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «171/178»
  Go to:
pmadzik Sep 9, 2020
Quoting: amataiI had the same problem playing with wine 2 years ago. It was solved by buying the game on steam and using proton. But maybe someone here has a more satisfying answer.
Weird. I have no idea what's going on. The day before yesterday (after posting on the forum) I tried to use proton (using the option of adding a non-steam game to the steam and turning on steam play for it) and it worked (after a little tinkering due to a bug ) and there were no crashes (although I didn't play that long). I only experienced some micro stuttering. Yesterday I tried again the combination wine 5.0 + dxvk 1.5.5 and... also there were no crashes.

Update a few days later: I stayed with the proton because it turned out to be crash-free (unlike other setups).

Last edited by pmadzik on 14 September 2020 at 1:40 pm UTC
Mohandevir Apr 13, 2021
Just tought about a difference when the game is run with Proton vs Windows... When played on Windows, during the Possession quest, when you speak with the possessed Jarl Udalryk, you can see the Hym shadow on the wall and floor. With Proton, there is nothning to tell you that there is an error, but the shadow is not visible. Really small detail here, but still a missing feature, it seems... On Nvidia at least, for me.

Last edited by Mohandevir on 13 April 2021 at 7:01 pm UTC
Shmerl Apr 13, 2021
If you think it's dxvk problem, you can make a Vulkan capture with Renderdoc for them and report a bug.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Using_Renderdoc_capture

Last edited by Shmerl on 13 April 2021 at 11:58 pm UTC
Mohandevir Apr 14, 2021
Thanks... Will take a look. I'm not really familiar with all these debugging/reporting tools.

Poor me, I guess I'll have to start a 5th run, then... The world is so unfair!

Last edited by Mohandevir on 14 April 2021 at 12:37 pm UTC
Pangaea Apr 14, 2021
Quoting: MohandevirJust tought about a difference when the game is run with Proton vs Windows... When played on Windows, during the Possession quest, when you speak with the possessed Jarl Udalryk, you can see the Hym shadow on the wall and floor. With Proton, there is nothning to tell you that there is an error, but the shadow is not visible. Really small detail here, but still a missing feature, it seems... On Nvidia at least, for me.
Pretty sure that was present in the playthroughs I did, but then I didn't use shteam's proton (they can FOAD, with DRM and all). It's been a while since I played the game now, but I know I saw that shadow on the wall, also while talking to Udalryk I think.

Excellent game in any case. Shame it seems like they dropped the ball a bit on CP2077.

Also, since you've played through it 4 times already, I can recommend to try out the Ghost Mode mod. It changes especially the combat a lot, and for the better I'd say. It makes it more challenging, and I had a lot of fun with it. Really well-done mod.

Last edited by Pangaea on 14 April 2021 at 1:58 pm UTC
Mohandevir Apr 14, 2021
Quoting: Pangaea
Quoting: MohandevirJust tought about a difference when the game is run with Proton vs Windows... When played on Windows, during the Possession quest, when you speak with the possessed Jarl Udalryk, you can see the Hym shadow on the wall and floor. With Proton, there is nothning to tell you that there is an error, but the shadow is not visible. Really small detail here, but still a missing feature, it seems... On Nvidia at least, for me.
Pretty sure that was present in the playthroughs I did, but then I didn't use shteam's proton (they can FOAD, with DRM and all). It's been a while since I played the game now, but I know I saw that shadow on the wall, also while talking to Udalryk I think.

Excellent game in any case. Shame it seems like they dropped the ball a bit on CP2077.

Also, since you've played through it 4 times already, I can recommend to try out the Ghost Mode mod. It changes especially the combat a lot, and for the better I'd say. It makes it more challenging, and I had a lot of fun with it. Really well-done mod.

The last run I did was a couple of months ago... I paid special attention to that shadow... When Udalryk raises his arms, while speaking to you, you should see the Hym doing the same, on the wall behind him, but no, it wasn't there. Anyway, it might be a problem depending on the Proton version used... I think I'll create a save point at this special spot and test different versions of Proton. Who knows, it might be solved with the latest builds?
Pangaea Apr 14, 2021
Looked through a lot of pictures, because at this time I was still working on the wiki, but sadly only found this one.

Mohandevir Apr 14, 2021
Yep... Weird, but this one is always fine.
Pangaea Jun 12, 2021
Played many different games lately, and wanted to try out Witcher 3 again. With mods. Sadly I just can't get the TW3 Mod Manager to work properly. There is a Linux version, but after struggling with it for days on end, I gave up. Refused to run, and terminal kept spitting out error messages.

Cleaned out the entire install from a couple years ago, and reinstalled anew with Adam's excellent script from the GOG forums. It has a script menu, and I choose to run the mod manager exe through it, so the same wine prefix will be used and such. Struggled a lot to install mods, but looks like it finally worked (while posting this message). Woot. Currently the mods (zips) are placed in prefix/C drive.

That's one big step forward. However, path to user settings must be adapted somehow, and the script merger (for resolving conflicts) must work as well. Any idea how to do that, for those of you who are playing around with mods?

Having played the game to completion about 3-4 times, I wanted a fresh experience. Therefore want to try out the Ghost Mode mod (it changes a lot of things, mostly for the better, and makes the game more difficult, fixes skills that didn't work, etc etc). Have played through almost the whole main game once before with it, so now I also wanted to try out mods called Preparation and FriendlyHUD + FriendlyStash. Think it means you need to use meditation for any skill upgrades and suchlike, and that we need to make potions to use them, more in line of Witcher 1 (instead of always access to e.g. Cat potion if you've made it once). Should give more reason to interact with herbalists for parts. Maybe I want to try out No quick travel too, just to get a feel for it. Roach can be dumb as a brick at times, but it could be worth a try.

So.... any advice to a fellow penguin for how to get all this stuff working correctly? Have any of you done playthroughs like this, and what was your experience with it?

Last edited by Pangaea on 12 June 2021 at 9:52 pm UTC
Koopacabras Jun 12, 2021
Just finished The Witcher 3, really satisfied with the story the gameplay and everything, also done the Hearts and Stone DLC... Did two of the endings
Spoiler, click me
still missing the one that Ciri becomes emperetress
it just runs awesome, loading times and framerate are better than Witcher 2.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.