[Fixed, needs testing] Dying Light refuses to launch
Page: «3/16»
  Go to:
devland Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be a problem with the new libs that arch has.
Someone said on reddit that they managed to get it working on ubuntu on amd hardware by using mesa.

I'll see if I can compile a folder with all the dependencies and write a small script to launch it without using any of the arch libs.

This will be a problem with more and more games as time moves forward.
Game devs need to start using flatpaks and bundle the game with all the required libs.
g000h Oct 25, 2017
I have Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition on Debian 9 Stretch, with proprietary Nvidia driver. Launched it, and it started running the new Free DLC video (Axe, Revolver, etc). Then once the video finished, I went into the game, and whooped some zombies for a bit. Did that last night - All good for me.
kaymio Oct 28, 2017
Bought the game today and got quite embarrassed in front of my Windows Fan Boys.

It has been told that mesa 17.2 should fix the issue. I run 17.2.3 on Arch and it still exists. Someone said kernel 4.14 might help with some memory issues.

Why are the developers not interested in fixing this issue?
DamonLinuxPL Oct 28, 2017
Quoting: kaymioBought the game today and got quite embarrassed in front of my Windows Fan Boys.

It has been told that mesa 17.2 should fix the issue. I run 17.2.3 on Arch and it still exists. Someone said kernel 4.14 might help with some memory issues.

Why are the developers not interested in fixing this issue?

First, Arch based distro is well know as game breaking distro. If you can, you can try other distro like Ubuntu - if issue still appears then it is not a distro / library bug.

Seconds, we know what Chrome Engine 6 games are broken on Mesa, this is because Mesa is buggy in someway. In Mesa 17.2 GIT we have confirmed that game work fine but after few new patches to Mesa, they broke game again. Even in stable Mesa 17.2 or new development 17.3 is still broken. Last time when I tested it on AMD with Mesa, it worked on 17.2 git but after month and few mesa git update - they broke it again.

Worth to ask Mesa developers about this Mesa regression.
tuubi Oct 28, 2017
Quoting: DamonLinuxPLSeconds, we know what Chrome Engine 6 games are broken on Mesa, this is because Mesa is buggy in someway.
In this case it was actually due to a known bug in the engine.

This isn't the first time I've heard about the game not running on Arch currently. Nothing to do with Mesa I think. And Techland doesn't seem interested as long as it runs on supported distributions, namely Ubuntu 14.04 or later. EDIT: All of this has been said earlier in this thread. I guess none of us actually read through the discussion very carefully.
Quoting: tuubiIn this case it was actually due to a known bug in the engine.

Nope. When two young Techland developers porting Dying Light to Linux they follow with official Khronos Specification and they create two similar branch - one for NVIDIA and second very similar for closed source AMD driver. When they porting it, Mesa was not enough fast (poor performance) and lack of many opengl extansion. So they just following with khronos and not create third branch for mesa. Now, when Mesa is able to handle Dying Light, Mesa not have all features from official khronos spec. So for Mesa 17.2 git, mesa devs prepare patches to run game (patches allow mesa to compiling shaders). It also needed to use "MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=450 %command%" command. And it works for some time. After few new mesa patches, mesa devs broke it again, and it is still broken (until today).
Also calling this as game bug is misunderstanding. Even Mesa devs, sometimes ago considering adding missing features from khronos spec, but they chose to finish first more important things and in near future (maybe in next year) add missing features from khronos. So pls, don't blame game.
ysblokje Oct 28, 2017
Quoting: DamonLinuxPLAnd it works for some time. After few new mesa patches, mesa devs broke it again, and it is still broken (until today).

Not sure if you meant that it should work from today onward, but it's still broken for me today (29-10-2017) on arch.
Quoting: ysblokje
Quoting: DamonLinuxPLAnd it works for some time. After few new mesa patches, mesa devs broke it again, and it is still broken (until today).

Not sure if you meant that it should work from today onward, but it's still broken for me today (29-10-2017) on arch.

No. I mean it worked few months ago, when mesa developers released patch for this and then it worked. After few patch they broke it again and still is broken. So if u trying it today it is still broken.
tuubi Oct 29, 2017
Quoting: DamonLinuxPL
Quoting: tuubiIn this case it was actually due to a known bug in the engine.

Nope.
Yep.

Quoting: DamonLinuxPLAlso calling this as game bug is misunderstanding.
Did you even read the link I gave you? Here's the relevant quote from the Mesa patch notes:
QuoteThis fixes the long-standing problem with Dying Light where the game would produce a black screen when running under Mesa. This happened because the game's vertex shaders redeclare gl_VertexID, which is a GLSL builtin. Mesa's GLSL compiler is a little more strict than others, and would not compile them:

error: `gl_VertexID' redeclared

The allow_glsl_builtin_variable_redeclaration directive allows the shaders to compile and the game to render. The game also requires OpenGL 4.4+ (GLSL 440), but does not request it explicitly. It must be forced with an override, such as MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 and MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=450.
The game isn't perfect, and neither is its OpenGL (or GLSL) code. I can't blame Techland for not supporting a distro they never promised support for though. Also not supporting Mesa is a damn shame, but they're not the only ones.

This said, I'm currently playing through the game and having tons of fun. Too bad not everyone gets to enjoy it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.