Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
[Fixed, needs testing] Dying Light refuses to launch
Page: «4/16»
  Go to:
Furious Oct 29, 2017
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: DamonLinuxPL
Quoting: tuubiIn this case it was actually due to a known bug in the engine.

Nope.
Yep.

Quoting: DamonLinuxPLAlso calling this as game bug is misunderstanding.
Did you even read the link I gave you? Here's the relevant quote from the Mesa patch notes:
QuoteThis fixes the long-standing problem with Dying Light where the game would produce a black screen when running under Mesa. This happened because the game's vertex shaders redeclare gl_VertexID, which is a GLSL builtin. Mesa's GLSL compiler is a little more strict than others, and would not compile them:

error: `gl_VertexID' redeclared

The allow_glsl_builtin_variable_redeclaration directive allows the shaders to compile and the game to render. The game also requires OpenGL 4.4+ (GLSL 440), but does not request it explicitly. It must be forced with an override, such as MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.5 and MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=450.

The game isn't perfect, and neither is its OpenGL (or GLSL) code. I can't blame Techland for not supporting a distro they never promised support for though. Also not supporting Mesa is a damn shame, but they're not the only ones.

This said, I'm currently playing through the game and having tons of fun. Too bad not everyone gets to enjoy it.

Can you help me with this one? I'm not sure how do I use the said directive "allow_glsl_builtin_variable_redeclaration" ? Is it a launch option in steam? What's the syntax then?
tuubi Oct 29, 2017
Quoting: FuriousCan you help me with this one? I'm not sure how do I use the said directive "allow_glsl_builtin_variable_redeclaration" ? Is it a launch option in steam? What's the syntax then?
That's not something you should have to deal with yourself. But if you're on Mesa 17.2 or later and the rule is missing from your /etc/drirc, I guess you should add it there. According to the patch it should look like this:
        <application name="Dying Light" executable="DyingLightGame">
            <option name="allow_glsl_builtin_variable_redeclaration" value="true" />
        </application>

If something else has broken since the patch like DamonLinuxPL suggests, this won't help you at all. And remember, this is only relevant if you're running an AMD GPU on Mesa.
devland Dec 8, 2017
Someone on reddit suggested using the Steam snap to run Dying Light, as it bundles all the runtime dependencies from ubuntu.

I haven't tested it yet, but it appears to work.
skyrrd Dec 9, 2017
about to try on a fresh install of fedora27. if this is going to work i really need to get snapd running on gentoo :P
skyrrd Dec 9, 2017
the good news: its really playable

the bad news: changing settings ingame causes a crash to desktop, so i'm stuck with medium settings.

right now i'm running with radeon module on 4.13 kernel. performance is quite ok (75fps was a higher spike. it tends to hover at about 50)

i'll see what i can do about settings, if savegames work and how it runs with amdgpu on 4.15_rc2

stay tuned ;)

UPDATE:
after several tries i was able to adjust my settings to 1080p and everything maxed out.
getting avg 60fps with my r9 290 (overclocked bios with 1150gpu/1550mem) and never dips below 40 so i would say it's pretty playable. can't say how performance will be in other areas, this is in the slums.

savegames are working as well

thanks so much for the tip ;)

UPDATE2: sadly my steam controller is not working with this methode
here's with 4.15_rc2 kernel: https://imgur.com/a/hsKJ9

if anyone knows how to get steamcontroller or at least xbox360 controller working with steam snap package, pls let me know ;)
GloriousEggroll Dec 21, 2017
can confirm the LSI snap pack runs the game perfectly fine.
you will still need this in the launch options:
MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=4.4 MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=440 %command%

for controller try enabling joysticks for steam snap. I wrote how to do the entire process on my blog:

https://www.gloriouseggroll.tv/having-steam-game-problems-on-your-distro-try-the-snap-pak-of-steam/

for the short and sweet:
sudo snap connect linux-steam-integration:joystick core:joystick

you may also need steamos-xpad-dkms kernel from the aur, I use this.

Im able to run dying line on arch with mesa-git and linux-git kernel only via the snap.

linux-steam-integration on the AUR acts the same as normal (segfault after loading bar),ive informed ikey on the lsi github
skyrrd Dec 21, 2017
Thanks a lot. Will give it a shot in the days ahead.

Still trying to figure out, how to get it running natively but running as snap is a good fix for distros compatible with it. But i'm not quite willing to switch to a different distro for one single game ;-)
devland Dec 21, 2017
I can confirm that GloriousEggroll's method works. :D
I'm curious, though... how does the snap work? Does it provide ubuntu specific dependencies that Arch Linux is lacking?

If you run "ldd DyingLightGame", you'll see that the snap is actually missing some of the required dependencies. So it only adds the right ones?
skyrrd Dec 21, 2017
It would be interesting to see what changed between ubuntu 16.04 and later versions that broke dying light on mesa.
i'm thinking about downgrading glibc to 2.23 and try again.

if i understand it correctly, snap packages run in a sandboxed enviornmet, that bundle all libraries needed for the specific programm.

if i'ts just about some libraries, we could try to extract them from the snap package (don't know how to be honest) but i guess it's not that simple

maybe the devs of souls' steam snap packages can give some insight what "fixes" the problem

edit: ah just saw the post about glibc on github. interesting

edit2:

i'm running against a wall here:

{23:27:04.794} INFO: [INFO] > [OpenGL] Video memory detected: 0 [MB]!
{23:27:04.797} INFO: [INFO] > Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault).
[...]
{23:27:04.794} INFO: [INFO] > [OpenGL] Video memory detected: 0 [MB]!
{23:28:11.741} INFO: [INFO] > Caught signal 2 (Interrupt).

Bug is known and closed as it "only affects lesser used distros" source
skyrrd Dec 22, 2017
as i like to tinker with other distros now and then i now gave debian-testing a shot and can tell you Dying Light works natively with the same drawbacks as tested with snap package, i.e. you can't switch to window mode or the game will crash.

that's with Linux 4.13 (stock kernel) and Mesa 17.4.0-devel (Oibaf PPA)

really gotta find out why the Game can't detect vram on gentoo and if there is anything else that has to be fixed (besides copying some libs)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.