rJKekKCPNeUokXtZ
Page: «4/7»
  Go to:
Hamish Nov 29, 2012
Speculative Bundles were always in a class of their own. This is different, not only for the lack of cross-platform support, but for the fact that Steam is still required to play the games. You like Steam I know Liam, but you have to agree forcing it onto HIB purchases is not acceptable for a service that always prided itself on being DRM free. Essentially THQ came up to them, told them to assume the position, and they did so willingly. It is disgusting.
Hyeron Nov 29, 2012
Except double fine was some sort of "side" bundle. There was HBA4 going on parallel to it. This, OTOH, is their "core" offer this time.
Not indie. Not cross-platform. Not DRM-free. This cake IS a lie.
Hamish Nov 29, 2012
QuoteBuying the Humble THQ Bundle gets you the games for Windows through Steam. For your listening delight, you also get a collection of DRM-free soundtracks!

Oh, now this is f@cking rich...
Toby Haynes Nov 29, 2012
Now if this was a Humble Indie Bundle, I would be spitting lead. And for about two seconds I was excited about another raft of games coming to Linux and then I was disappointed. However ...

...breathe...

The folks at Humble Bundle just employed a full time Linux porter. That's not something that a company which is abandoning Linux does. I'm hoping that these platform specific bundles are a sporadic event and not a regular feature, and I'm hoping that we'll see a ton more games coming to Linux because Humble Bundle continues to be a go-to porting house.
Hamish Nov 29, 2012
It is not about abandoning Linux, it is about abandoning their principles. Linux is not really the point here. Yes, there are going to be more cross-platform Bundles. But that is not the point. Since day one the bundles have been about cross-platform DRM free indie games. They have now cast that all away. They have betrayed their fans, and they may even have lied to them. That is what I am upset about it. They have shown their true colours, and it will never be the same again.
Liam Dawe Nov 29, 2012
Well they are a business, just goes to show some business will drop their original values for cash.

Then again it could be the owner of Humble doesn't want THQ to dissapear (they are having financial trouble).
berarma Nov 29, 2012
This is deceptive because they've used the HB name to sell something contrary to its principles. The name became associated to DRM-free and cross-platform, they sold that idea. It's the business side of things. I'll just skip this bundle, and don't think they owns us anything, they've offered us already a lot.
Hamish Nov 29, 2012
Well, if the defence is that the HIB is just operating as a business, then we need to apply the same lens to THQ. If they really hope that the Humble Bundle is going to save them they should have put the effort in to make themselves work with the Bundle. As it stands, they did nothing to make it compatible, not even detaching their product from Steam. Their money troubles is not really a reasonable excuse. They are using them and they are using us.

I am not speaking as one entitled. They have the right to do what they are doing. But just because they have the right to do it does not make it right.
Kristian Nov 29, 2012
I wrote this email to the Humble Bundle guys, I am seriously considering boycotting all future bundles:

QuoteHi I am writing this to let you know that I am very very disappointed that the Humble Bundle brand is no longer any kind of guarantee that games will be DRM free and multiplatform and that by agreeing to THQ's terms you have lost all the leverage in your negotiations with development studios with regard to getting them release their games in a DRM free, cross-platform state.

They will just tell you that since THQ was allowed to release their games in a Windows only, Steam only fashion they too should be allowed to do that. I am seriously worried that this means the Humble Bundle will have produced its last DRM free debut and its last Linux/cross-platform debut.
[/COLOR]

This will seriously hurt GOG as well since developers and publishers will just say: "[COLOR=#dbdbdb]"If even the Humble Bundle guys are willing to accept DRM, then why not you also? Stop being so fanatic""

Making it harder, much harder for them to get them to agree to their DRM free terms. In the end that will mean that they will either have to give up on their DRM free principles just like the Humble Bundle guys did or they will have to live with a much smaller catalog. Either way DRM free gaming loses out. You would almost think this was deliberately designed to kill DRM free and cross-platform gaming.
Liam Dawe Nov 29, 2012
I sent them an email too. People like me used to use them as an example of how things are done.

They have been getting worse with missing games, re-hashing games multiple times, Windows only bundles...what's next
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.