Let the griping begin!

You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
On the new website...
Page: «4/7»
  Go to:
Hamish Jan 17, 2013
As well as the gaming chat areas comment I tacked onto my previous post, I also noticed that when I loaded up my profile page here I am still supplied with a blank Steam ID entry. Could you at some point make it so that if you do not supply it with one (or any of the IDs) it will not appear at all?
Liam Dawe Jan 17, 2013
On the next website update it will hide fields from profile not completed as well as roll out the new editor which is easier for me to use. And it actually seems to work better.

I cannot implement a "quote" button on a post easily unless it sends you to another page (which then just populates the textarea with the requested post in a quote) as i don't know javascript to have it just be placed into the text box - would that be sufficient for now though? I asked for help on it and got lectured to basically go away and learn JS by someone on github *sigh* don't have time to learn another language.
Hamish Jan 17, 2013
It would certinaly be better than nothing. The work you have done has been quite stellar so far. :)

Still, I just noticed that the "Pagination" buttons are still below the comment box on articles. This should be made consistent.

There is always going to be one more thing... ;)
Liam Dawe Jan 17, 2013
Well thanks to the genious that is levi a quote function has been implemented ready for the next push :D
Liam Dawe Jan 17, 2013
Okay updates have been pushed.

New editor. If it's missing any essential bbcode buttons let me know it's quite easy to add to this one.
Quoting people is in.
Profiles fields not completed are hidden.
New style for quotes, looks nicer.
MyGameCompany Jan 17, 2013
Looks good so far!

Here's another weird bug for you. When someone replies to this thread, I get an e-mail with a link to it, like this:

QuoteGaming on Linux

Hello MyGameCompany,

So and so has replied to a forum topic you follow on titled "[url=On the new website...]On the new website...[/url]"

The first time I click this link in my e-mail, it takes me to a 404 page.But if I close my browser and click it again, then it works.

Also, a couple of minor nits:

1) When I made my first post, it automatically subscribed me to this thread. So now I get an e-mail when people reply. Most forums don't automatically subscribe you when you post. You have to explicitly subscribe.

Edit: looks like there's a little checkbox I didn't see before for subscribing to the thread, and it's checked by default. Would be nice if this wasn't checked by default.

2) I'm getting an e-mail every time someone posts to this thread, which is mildly annoying. Most forums usually just send the e-mail on the first reply, and have a line in it that says you won't be notified of any other posts until you visit the forum. Maybe the quickest workaround is to not automatically subscribe someone to a thread when they post. But of course, if someone does subscribe to a busy thread, then they're back to an inbox that grows full of "New reply" messages. Don't know how easy it is to fix it so you only get an e-mail on the first reply.
Cheeseness Jan 17, 2013
Quoting: liamdaweOkay updates have been pushed.

New editor. If it's missing any essential bbcode buttons let me know it's quite easy to add to this one.
Quoting people is in.
Profiles fields not completed are hidden.
New style for quotes, looks nicer.
Yeah, that's nice and snappy :)

SCEditor looks pretty neat.
Cheeseness Jan 17, 2013
Quoting: MyGameCompany2) I'm getting an e-mail every time someone posts to this thread, which is mildly annoying. Most forums usually just send the e-mail on the first reply, and have a line in it that says you won't be notified of any other posts until you visit the forum. Maybe the quickest workaround is to not automatically subscribe someone to a thread when they post. But of course, if someone does subscribe to a busy thread, then they're back to an inbox that grows full of "New reply" messages. Don't know how easy it is to fix it so you only get an e-mail on the first reply.

I appreciate it actually (though perhaps the subscribe checkbox should live above the editor?). What I miss is that GOL notification emails don't have some of the post content in them anymore :(
Hamish Jan 18, 2013
Quoting: CheesenessI appreciate it actually (though perhaps the subscribe checkbox should live above the editor?). What I miss is that GOL notification emails don't have some of the post content in them anymore

Yeah, I miss that to, although I also understand why the automatic subscribing has been getting on Troy's nerves.

Something else I noticed is that this forum does not support signatures - I am not really sure if that bothers me or not, but it is something I noticed.

Still, three cheers to Liam for working his butt off to respond to all of our little nit picks. ;)

EDIT: The comment box is still extending on top of the sidebar when you load up an article.
Cheeseness Jan 18, 2013
Quoting: HamishStill, three cheers to Liam for working his butt off to respond to all of our little nit picks.
Most definitely (I can also appreciate why automatic subscribing might be irritating for some) :)

Also, the preview link when creating an article from [url=here]here[/url] just goes to the main index page, losing everything that's been entered. :(

BBCode isn't working properly either? I put an image in the tagline for the article I just added using the image button, but it just displayed BBCode on the main page.

Also, it doesn't seem to be quite working properly in comments either? The link above was corrected automatically after I edited my post.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.