Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Ubuntu 17.10 and problems with Steam Controller
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Mountain Man Nov 12, 2017
Steam Controller seems to be working fine with a fresh install of 17.04.

I'm going to update the software and hope it doesn't break anything.
Fully updated with backports and everything, and no problems. Steam Controller works as expected. I have a feeling it's something to do with the kernel since I'm running the 4.10.0-38 kernel.
Quoting: RedfaceI just tried Mad Max vulkan beta on Ubuntu 17.10 and kernel 4.13 and my steam controller worked. I only walked a around a bit so didnt check all actions.

Do you have the steam-devices package installed? It contains the udev rules for the steam and other controllers.
I'm curious, has there been any updates to 17.10 since this problem was reported? Now that I think about it, I didn't update my install of 17.10 when I tried it just a few hours ago. If you're running the very latest update of 17.10 then maybe it pulled in a fix.

I'm not eager to try it, because if it doesn't work then it will mean another reinstall, which isn't difficult, just time consuming. Somebody else take one for the team! Haha!
Arehandoro Nov 13, 2017
Quoting: Mountain ManFully updated with backports and everything, and no problems. Steam Controller works as expected. I have a feeling it's something to do with the kernel since I'm running the 4.10.0-38 kernel.

In the midst of all the things I tried the other day to fix the controller, forgot to mention that after updating to kernel 4.13, on boot up my rig was complaining about something, but then booting normally, and that I should update the firmware. I think the error was related to TSC_DEADLINE error due to errata.

After some research saw there was a package on for that error -intel-microcode- and installed it. That was when I also reverted back to Steam client without betas. I don't really know what that package does, could it be that is also missing from your PC?

On Sat when my mates came over also had to uninstall xpad, the computer saw my xbox controller as if I had two of them plugged. All actions were mirrored onto a ghost 3rd player, funny but annoying xD
Mountain Man Nov 13, 2017
Quoting: ArehandoroAfter some research saw there was a package on for that error -intel-microcode- and installed it. That was when I also reverted back to Steam client without betas. I don't really know what that package does, could it be that is also missing from your PC?
I have an AMD CPU, so I doubt Intel CPU firmware would do me any good.

Also, it's not installed at the moment on my system, so it would not seem to be the culprit.
Arehandoro Nov 13, 2017
Quoting: Mountain Man
Quoting: ArehandoroAfter some research saw there was a package on for that error -intel-microcode- and installed it. That was when I also reverted back to Steam client without betas. I don't really know what that package does, could it be that is also missing from your PC?
I have an AMD CPU, so I doubt Intel CPU firmware would do me any good.

Also, it's not installed at the moment on my system, so it would not seem to be the culprit.

Oh, crap. Sorry can't be of better help :/
wojtek88 Nov 13, 2017
Recently I started to have issue with my Steam controller as well. The issue in my case is that while using sc-controller 2 buttons are always interpreted as keyboard buttons, even if I map them to gamepad buttons.
If I use controller in Steam it works fine, it works fine also if I use steam controller directly.

I didn't figure out what causes the issue, so if someone had the same problem and solved it, just drop me a line.
Shakey Nov 15, 2017
I have been having the same issue (not in the steam beta) with my steam controller, xbox one controller via usb and wireless xbox 360 controllers since the fedora 27 beta with kernel 4.13. However, if I go back to fedora 26 and update the kernel to 4.13 I don't have the problem. Has anyone found what might be causing the issue?
Arehandoro Nov 17, 2017
Guys, I think we all missed this post from @debianxcfe in the Native Linux gaming forum and maybe solve the issue for some people:

QuoteI have played Rocket League with the Logitech usb game pad and Shanwan/Panhai PS3 bluetooth game pad years and now that is impossible. The Steam application works with the game pads and the Saints Row 2 Steam game too. Do other Rocket League players have the same problem?

My game pads are configured in the steam big picture mode and I have tried the xboxdrv driver, no help.

Update: I made a bug report with the psyonix.com web form and their response is that only Steam OS is supported while the Steam store page says Steam OS + Linux. They do not support my controllers either that is funny. I just installed free The Pirate: Plague of the Dead game and my PS3 controller works fine. Luckily I did not buy the Rocket league game, my kid has shared it to me. I tested with wine-staging too and the Logitech gamepad did work partially. Log files are in: ~/.local/share/Rocket League/TAGame/Logs/

Update. Steam client update at 30.9.2017 caused this problem propably. Now generic game controller support must be disabled in the big picture mode controller settings. Shut down your controller, disable generic game controller support and turn your controller on again.
Mountain Man Nov 17, 2017
QuoteUpdate. Steam client update at 30.9.2017 caused this problem propably. Now generic game controller support must be disabled in the big picture mode controller settings. Shut down your controller, disable generic game controller support and turn your controller on again.
That doesn't seem likely to me, because the problem only started when I upgraded to Kubuntu 17.10. There are no problems with earlier versions like 16.04.3 and 17.04. Unless it's a combination of 17.10 and the latest Steam client? I'm hesitant to update and try it, because if it doesn't work, it'll mean having to reinstall my OS again.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.