Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Looking for a very quiet PSU - edit: got one
Liam Dawe Nov 15, 2017
Hey all, I'm looking to revive my ageing AMD box with a new PSU and my old Nvidia 970 to turn it into some sort of SteamOS media centre for the corner of my new office.

Not looking to spend more than £60 ideally. The current PSU doesn't have the cabling (and probably not powerful enough) for the 970.

The quiet part is important, since it will be for movies and such, fan noise annoys me.

Edit: Got one :)
Xpander Nov 15, 2017
you might want to check Be Quiet PSU's. Like the name tells :D they are usually pretty quiet. I have Corsair and its super silent also but its more expensive one, something like 130€ or so :D
beko Nov 15, 2017
I second a be quiet! as well. I'm using be quiet! hardware in my rigs for years and I absolutly love silent but powerfull computers. The latest generation of their Silent Wings are a blessing.

Thing is: That absolutly depends on the Watt you really need later.

You can e.g. get the be quiet! B8 550W ATX that emits between 14,4 - 31,6 dB(A) depending on the power consumed for your £60. The 300W variant is between 10,6 - 13,2 dB(A).

The less Watt your system requires the better. You have to know the required consumption exactly to make your best choice.

It's probably also not a good idea to operate the PSU at it's limit all the time. If your system requires e.g. ~380W do not go for a 400W PSU. It will make noise (or even die) sooner, because it's fan will operate on it's designed limit all the time as well.
tuubi Nov 16, 2017
My vote goes to the modular Corsair RM series. I've got two RM750 (750W) models, and neither ever spins up at all. They're passively cooled until heavy loads, and my puny hardware never causes them to break a sweat.

Oh sorry, somehow I missed the price requirement. Hmm... You could always order your minion Samsai to sell his for cheap? :P
Xpander Nov 16, 2017
yeah i have modular Corsair :) 750W and it doesnt even spin up. I think i never heard it spin up so far :)
But its not that cheap of a PSU. Also you need to buy twice more Wattage than your system outputs to get them never spin up, so that will be expensive :)

i had Seasonic modular also G series.. but it died after 3 years of usage
crt0mega Nov 16, 2017
+1 Seasonic
+1 be quiet!

I also had a good PSU from "Enermax" which only got replaced because I had to upgrade to 750W and a surprisingly quiet (but not silent) "LEPA" PSU in my server.
Guppy Nov 16, 2017
While I second the idea of quiet pc, I can tell you from experience that as soon as that 970gtx decides that there is work to be done all all your other efforts are for naught.
Liam Dawe Nov 16, 2017
Thanks for the feedback, I went for the one in this pic :) https://twitter.com/thenaughtysquid/status/931117052152119297
beko Nov 16, 2017
I see. 26dB(A) max should to the trick :)
g000h Nov 16, 2017
I use numerous relatively cheap PSUs in my office. Aero Cool Integrator 600W can be bought relatively cheaply, and I notice little noise from those models. The EVGA 500W is decent as well. And the Aero Cool 700W.

Also, check the prices at Ebuyer and CCLonline in the UK. Usually beat Amazon prices for components like this.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.