Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Fireftp replacement ?
Guppy Nov 27, 2017
Now that firefox no longer supports fireftp what program are you guys using?

I need it to support "live edit" and accept ftp links ( ie ftp://user:[email protected]/path/to/files/ ) other than that I don't care much.

I'd use Nemo's built in ftp support but it's screwed me over with partial writes one time too many. :(
Liam Dawe Nov 27, 2017
I just use filezilla, seems to do anything I need it to, including editing and instantly uploading once finished.
Guppy Nov 27, 2017
Trying filezilla now - unless I override the editor i alternates between opening html pages in firefox & openoffice which is a tad wierd as the system default action for .html is "atom"

it can use ftp links from the command prompt, but not the gui. Now if only there was a way to specify ftp protocol handler in chrome
damarrin Nov 27, 2017
I was hit by FireFTP's demise as well, it was just so convenient having it in the browser (and having it automatically install in every Firefox instance I logged in to).

ATM I just use Gnome's file browser's connect to server functionality. Does the job, at least for now.
Guppy Nov 27, 2017
Having to click "yes please upload my changed file" every damn time is getting anoying, there there anyway to have filezilla automatically upload the file 2 seconds after it detects the file has changed ?
stretch611 Nov 27, 2017
I dropped FireFTP a long time ago... I use a full fledged FTP program instead... Actually a file comparison program with a fully integrated FTP client. Beyond Compare(including SFTP/FTP over SSL)

It allows you to compare your local files with the remote FTP site, including only showing the changed files if you want. The ability to go into the files and see exactly which lines are different. You can directly edit both local and remote files and copy/replace/undo differences between the files on a line by line basis.

If you upload files occasionally, Beyond Compare is overkill... If you are a full time developer, once you use it you won't be able to live without it.

Of course it has linux native as well.

QuoteBeyond Compare does not run as a console application on Linux. It requires the X window system.

COMPATIBLE LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, 7
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (BC version 3 - 4.0.7)
CentOS 6, 7
CentOS 5 (BC version 3 - 4.0.7)
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, 16.04 LTS
Linux Mint 17, 18 Cinnamon and MATE editions
Fedora 25, 26
Debian 7, 8
Prior to version 4.1, 64-bit distributions required 32-bit compatibility libraries. Using the .deb/.rpm packages with apt-get/yum, or your distribution's associated package manager will install them automatically.

NOT TESTED
Linux distributions were each tested using the default desktop environment. Only limited technical support is provided for untested Linux distributions and desktop environments
slaapliedje Nov 28, 2017
Am I the only old school one here who still uses... 'ftp'? or maybe even 'ncftp'? Though when I need to search through a huge Archive, I do use the gnome file manager (Nautilus).
Siinamon Dec 24, 2017
The last time I saw anything about FileZilla handling automatic uploads, one of the developers said that it prompts you every time "for safety" from possible partial/corrupted uploads.
Guppy Dec 24, 2017
Quoting: cptmashekThe last time I saw anything about FileZilla handling automatic uploads, one of the developers said that it prompts you every time "for safety" from possible partial/corrupted uploads.
Been using fireftps auto upload for years and never had it corrupt anything. But yeah I saw that reply also
devnull Dec 24, 2017
Never said if you need a GUI or not and what about FireFTP was critical besides being part of a browser.

Console: lftp / ftp / ncftp
Curses: lynx
GUI: Filezilla / Shell (GNOME and KDE should natively open an ftp URL)
XFTP/XDir https://computing.llnl.gov/resources/xdir/xftp.html are options too. Quite well supported but based on Motif :)
wolfyrion Dec 25, 2017
The easiest thing is to downgrade to Waterfox 56 and use fireftp.

Instead of loosing 30 addons I choose to use Waterfox, best decision ever :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.