Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Steam controller not working just on TR and TW2
donbastiano Dec 9, 2017
I have a strange problem with the steam controller, generally it is working fine but not with The Witcher 2 where doesn't appear and on Tomb Raider: with this game it has a strange behavior, while I hold L2 and move the controller, it moves the menu and it is the only thing that I can do :) On past it has worked fine on TR.
It is an almost clean installation of Ubuntu 17.10 (but on Unity), I copied some folder from the old pc i.e. the steamapps. I installed steam with apt and also the steam-devices pkg that brought the /lib/udev/rules.d/99-steam-controller-perms.rules file, without this pkg steam doesn't show any controller. I'm on the stable release of steam.
I tried with big picture and also loading a controller configuration from the community but nothing has changed.

Any suggestion?
skyrrd Dec 11, 2017
The steamcontroller part of your udev-rule should have s group listed (usually its "input" or something simmilar)
Make sure your user is part of that group.
E.g. gpasswd -a user input

If it's still not working with witcher 2 i suggest to check needed libs. (Gog-site has a list of needed packages)
donbastiano Dec 11, 2017
Thank you, I don't have any group in the rule, it is the default file from the steam-devices package (link to the content. I had the same file previously, I think your are suggesting what liam said a year ago (link, I thought it wasn't necessary anymore but I'm going to try it, changing:
KERNEL=="uinput", SUBSYSTEM=="misc", TAG+="uaccess"
to
KERNEL=="uinput", MODE="0660", GROUP="pgriffais", OPTIONS+="static_node=uinput"
with the right group
donbastiano Jan 24, 2018
Thank you, I really enjoyed TR, played with the steam controller. A little strange that the default configuration is not working... but easy fix
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.