Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Simple 2d platformers or similar games for 7 and 5 year old kids
buenaventura Jan 3, 2018
My kids are hopelessly inexperienced in relation to their age when it comes to games (we are a kind of low tech family with no smartphones and only old linux computers, send our kids to waldorf school, play board games etc.) but now I feel that it is time to introduce some gaming with my SNES-controller to them. What are some easy, simple platformers or similar that you like?

They have tried some emulated Mario games before, with mild success. I think a 2d platformer or somesuch with not much dying would be best initially to boost confidence before trying more complicated stuff. Any ideas? I've looked at Alwa's awakening, or Cave Story, both are nice but perhaps too complicated... Shovel Knight I love, but I think it is too hard for them, otherwise it would be perfect. Spelunky also seems great, but probably too hard.

Super Time Force Ultra is perhaps a tad violent - they are such uncorrupted kids you would not believe it ;) Nothing like me at that age. They feel sad for the goombas in Mario.

Thanks!
tuubi Jan 3, 2018
Quoting: buenaventuraI've looked at Alwa's awakening, or Cave Story, both are nice but perhaps too complicated...
Alwa's Awakening is definitely not a good choice. I'm not completely new to platformers, but that game almost made me give up for a while, partly due to the awkward two-button (faithful to the NES) control mechanics. It's not a bad game, but it's properly hard.

I can't really think of any easy Linux platformers right now. Oh, maybe "A Boy and his Blob"? I didn't like it much, but maybe I'm simply not the target audience. I do remember Liam's kid liking the Putt-Putt adventure games by Humongous Entertainment. Would those be an option? You might also find some nice hidden object games to play together with them.
buenaventura Jan 3, 2018
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: buenaventuraI've looked at Alwa's awakening, or Cave Story, both are nice but perhaps too complicated...
Alwa's Awakening is definitely not a good choice. I'm not completely new to platformers, but that game almost made me give up for a while, partly due to the awkward two-button (faithful to the NES) control mechanics. It's not a bad game, but it's properly hard.

I can't really think of any easy Linux platformers right now. Oh, maybe "A Boy and his Blob"? I didn't like it much, but maybe I'm simply not the target audience. I do remember Liam's kid liking the Putt-Putt adventure games by Humongous Entertainment. Would those be an option? You might also find some nice hidden object games to play together with them.

Oh poo about Alwa's awakening, I just bought it thinking it would be great. One review said it was easy :( I'll try it and get a refund if it's too hard I guess.

Putt putt is like point and click? I would like it to be a controller game.

Thanks for your reply!
tuubi Jan 3, 2018
Quoting: buenaventuraOh poo about Alwa's awakening, I just bought it thinking it would be great. One review said it was easy :( I'll try it and get a refund if it's too hard I guess.
Well I did manage to 100% it, but that was mostly because I was part of the beta test group and wanted to be thorough. I thought some of the final areas were really difficult. I actually stll have the statistics screen I saved for the dev:

The game time is a bit inflated due to bug-hunting hijinks, but that death count isn't exactly low.

Quoting: buenaventuraPutt putt is like point and click? I would like it to be a controller game.
They are older point-and-click adventures, yeah, and I think they actually run on ScummVM.

I don't really know what to recommend then. Get a cheap second-hand Nintendo console? :P
razing32 Jan 4, 2018
This may be an unorthodox idea.
How about Atari games simulated ?
Easy to pick up and play.

A lot of MS-DOS games were fun.
Prehystorik , Captain Comic , Whacky Wheels.

Linux wise what about the Lemmings clone - Pyngus i think ?
Tux Racer.
Frogatto.

Maybe even Minetest without mobs.

Actually now that I think about it , racing games would be easy to pick up and play and have no violence or enemies to "kill"
Also some of the older puzzle games might be fun. Color matchers and such. I recall a few on MS-DOS when i was a kid.
Blurps Jan 4, 2018
Thomas Was Alone is easy with a nice story.

Maybe those games:
To the moon
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Bridge Constructor
buenaventura Jan 4, 2018
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: buenaventuraOh poo about Alwa's awakening, I just bought it thinking it would be great. One review said it was easy :( I'll try it and get a refund if it's too hard I guess.
Well I did manage to 100% it, but that was mostly because I was part of the beta test group and wanted to be thorough. I thought some of the final areas were really difficult. I actually stll have the statistics screen I saved for the dev:

The game time is a bit inflated due to bug-hunting hijinks, but that death count isn't exactly low.

Quoting: buenaventuraPutt putt is like point and click? I would like it to be a controller game.
They are older point-and-click adventures, yeah, and I think they actually run on ScummVM.

I don't really know what to recommend then. Get a cheap second-hand Nintendo console? :P

I did try Alwa's now, and I think it is gentle enough in the beginning, they will probably like running around a bit and jumping etc. Will try it! We actually have my old NES in the family somewhere, but we do not own a TV :/

Quoting: razing32This may be an unorthodox idea.
How about Atari games simulated ?
Easy to pick up and play.

A lot of MS-DOS games were fun.
Prehystorik , Captain Comic , Whacky Wheels.

Linux wise what about the Lemmings clone - Pyngus i think ?
Tux Racer.
Frogatto.

Maybe even Minetest without mobs.

Actually now that I think about it , racing games would be easy to pick up and play and have no violence or enemies to "kill"
Also some of the older puzzle games might be fun. Color matchers and such. I recall a few on MS-DOS when i was a kid.

Considering they just love playing the dinosaur game in the google chrome browser "no internet connection" screen, I think they would find various atari games riveting :P Pyngus seems nice, and frogatto. And racing like micro machines is a great idea!

Quoting: nIQnutnThomas Was Alone is easy with a nice story.

Maybe those games:
To the moon
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Bridge Constructor

Thomas Was Alone looks like a good game, but perhaps too abstract? To the moon I liked alot, but too wordy (they do read, but not very fluently). I'll check the rest out! Perhaps world of goo when we are talking bridge constructor... I have that since many years, got it in one of the first humble bundles.
Blurps Jan 4, 2018
Quotehomas Was Alone looks like a good game, but perhaps too abstract?
no.
you can watch the beginning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKa75JB0PoE

edit:
you can also check SteamWorld
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.