You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
No Taskbar
Expalphalog Jan 15, 2018
Computer was running fine last night. Did not download anything or change any settings.

This morning, when I log in my desktop background appears for a split second and then vanishes along with the taskbar. My icons are all still there. Any clues?
tuubi Jan 15, 2018
Quoting: ExpalphalogComputer was running fine last night. Did not download anything or change any settings.

This morning, when I log in my desktop background appears for a split second and then vanishes along with the taskbar. My icons are all still there. Any clues?
I know you said you didn't change any settings, but did you perhaps update your Nvidia driver to the new 390.12 beta? Try switching to a different TTY with Ctrl+Alt+F1 or something, then back to your X session, probably Ctrl+Alt+F7. My Xfce session only shows a few icons on a grey background until I do that. Haven't bothered downgrading the driver yet, as I only start my gaming box maybe a couple of times per day. Also haven't had time to investigate if this can be worked around somehow.

EDIT: Now that I read your post again, it might be a completely different problem. It's monday morning, and my brain's still asleep I guess.
lucinos Jan 15, 2018
Quoting: ExpalphalogComputer was running fine last night. Did not download anything or change any settings.

I don't know but it sounds like a mint/cinnamon bug.
razing32 Jan 15, 2018
Try a different DE if you can. Can you install MATE and reboot and log in to MATE and see if you have the same issue ?
Maybe a Cinnamon bug you did not encounter until now.
stretch611 Jan 16, 2018
Which distro are you using? Based on your icon I'd say Mint, but what version? and Cinnamon or Mate? What vid card and driver?

Make sure you have free space in your home directory...
tuubi Jan 16, 2018
Quoting: stretch611Which distro are you using? Based on your icon I'd say Mint, but what version? and Cinnamon or Mate? What vid card and driver?
Click the "View PC info" link under his avatar for answers to most of your questions.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.