Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Clicking the topic should go to first unread post in a thread
hilpara Feb 2, 2018
Would it be possible with the current forum software to add a feature for the forum (and why not for the discussions in news section) to get to the first unread post in a thread? It annoys me every time to search the first post I haven't read.
stretch611 Feb 2, 2018
Or, clicking the story link goes to the story as normal, but clicking the "## comments" goes to first unread comment.
hilpara Feb 4, 2018
How can I subscribe to the thread without writing an answer? Or is my script blocker blocking something? I have also subsribed to few thread (where I have written to) but I do not get any email notification. And the email is also not the best way to read the posts. I still would prefer to some how be able to get to the latest not read post. I don't have has any problems with this feature on another forums.
hilpara Feb 4, 2018
It would also be nice to show the topic on bold if there are unread posts.
hilpara Feb 4, 2018
Thanks, didn't see the subscribe button :D But I would still prefer the clicking topic or any other way to get to the first unread post.
Liam Dawe Feb 4, 2018
I'm certainly not against doing it, however, doing it right is actually quite a difficult thing to do.

If we use cookies: Some people block them and it's per device.
If we use the database: That will end up as a huge amount of data, per user.

Every software I've looked into, uses their own slightly different method and none of them work exactly how you would think/want it to.

Edit: I will continue to look for the best option.

I've also just added a new feature for people using the category/forum view and not the flat topic list view (change views in UserCP). It will show a forum with a highlighted icon if there's new posts since you last visited that forum. That was at least easy to do, since it's only one sql row per-forum, per-user. Since the data is tiny, it shouldn't be an issue for that.
hilpara Feb 5, 2018
Could you at least change that the link to last post actually goes to last post in thread? And thanks for the flat topic list view tip!
Liam Dawe Feb 5, 2018
Okay, here's what I've now done.

I've gone over all sections of the forum so the last post time will link directly to the actual last post. Apart from the traditional category/forum view, where the actual title of the topic is the link. This way it all makes sense, previously the last post link was only going to the last page (woops) not the actual post :)

Hopefully this all helps.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.