Any sources to find percentages on who contributes?
GustyGhost Feb 10, 2018
I am curious to find any resources that might indicate how much particular groups contribute to Linux development or even just open source software in general these days.

Particularly by either:

- Community

- Academia

- Government

- Corporate

I highly doubt community and volunteers are the leading contributing group anymore. Your thoughts?
Faattori Feb 10, 2018
tuubi Feb 10, 2018
Keep in mind that you can't measure the value of code contributions in lines of code or number of patches. And another point: As long as corporations play by the rules and submit to the same open development process as the volunteers and hobbyists, they are in effect a part of the community. Their motivations might differ, but that's a rather forced separation.
stretch611 Feb 10, 2018
I'm not sure exactly where to go and find the information, but I have read some over time.

IIRC, corporate is actually one of the biggest... and also, iirc, IBM and Red Hat used to be two of the biggest.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.