Ubuntu 18.04 Data Collection
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
calfret Feb 16, 2018
For anyone who hasn't heard, Canonical is planning to collect user data again. I don't have a problem with this as long as it is open and honest and that the user voluntarily chooses to participate or not participate.

Here is the link from Will Cooke discussing this plan

Here is the video of Quidsup discussing this on Youtube.

View video on youtube.com
m2mg2 Feb 16, 2018
I abandoned Ubuntu a long time when I realized Ubuntu was the Windows of Linux. That is a joke, but this doesn't surprise me at all. It isn't the first time they tried something like this either. I wouldn't have a problem if it was made completely clear and the option to not participate was easy and apparent and the default was not to participate. That is almost never the case with these things though.
tonR Feb 16, 2018
OMG Ubuntu already reported this few days ago. For summary, it's like Steam Survey thing.
The problem is it is opt-out not opt-in. Not big fan of that.

List what they will collect(ed):
* Ubuntu Flavour
* Ubuntu Version
* Network connectivity or not
* CPU family
* RAM
* Disk(s) size
* Screen(s) resolution
* GPU vendor and model
* OEM Manufacturer
* Location (based on the location selection made by the user at
install). No IP information would be gathered
* Installation duration (time taken)
* Auto login enabled or not
* Disk layout selected
* Third party software selected or not
* Download updates during install or not
* LivePatch enabled or not

Source.
Ehvis Feb 16, 2018
It's funny how people are completely willing to submit the same information to Valve but start overreacting when Canonical does it. And Mozilla. And a whole bunch of others.
calfret Feb 16, 2018
Quoting: EhvisIt's funny how people are completely willing to submit the same information to Valve but start overreacting when Canonical does it. And Mozilla. And a whole bunch of others.

Voluntary participation is key. I am not fond at all of how these other programs snatch your data from you without a choice. Most folks aren't even aware it happens. 'It's in the EULA'... Nope, not a single person I know has ever actually read a EULA ever. My friends made fun of me for doing it once.

Either way, I am ok with this as long as it is made known and made voluntary.
tonR Feb 16, 2018
Quoting: calfret
Quoting: EhvisIt's funny how people are completely willing to submit the same information to Valve but start overreacting when Canonical does it. And Mozilla. And a whole bunch of others.

Voluntary participation is key. I am not fond at all of how these other programs snatch your data from you without a choice.
I'm fine if Canonical make it like GOL style timed survey (ones a week or month) and giving choices which data we want send to them instead giving them in bulk with binary choices (Yes or No).
BTW, it is impossible to track location without IP address IMO.

Quoting: calfretNope, not a single person I know has ever actually read a EULA ever. My friends made fun of me for doing it once.

Probably I'm one of your friends. Hahahaha (I'm joking, apologies)
Ehvis Feb 16, 2018
Quoting: calfretEither way, I am ok with this as long as it is made known and made voluntary.

It was already said that it's voluntary. Can be switched on/off in the installer and privacy settings.
Salvatos Feb 17, 2018
Quoting: tonR* Ubuntu Flavour
* Ubuntu Version
* Network connectivity or not
* CPU family
* RAM
* Disk(s) size
* Screen(s) resolution
* GPU vendor and model
* OEM Manufacturer
* Location (based on the location selection made by the user at
install). No IP information would be gathered
* Installation duration (time taken)
* Auto login enabled or not
* Disk layout selected
* Third party software selected or not
* Download updates during install or not
* LivePatch enabled or not

Source.
There's hardly anything to make me flinch there. None of it is identifiable, and it's pretty clearly aimed at seeing what kind of machine people are installing the OS on and what options are preferred. Sure it should be opt-in, but even if it's not, it's a far cry from something like Web analytics, in my opinion.
devnull Feb 17, 2018
Just going to leave these here incase ANYONE still trusts this company or doubts their intentions.

https://mobile.twitter.com/astarrb/status/880170781841514496

From their response:

> Kirkland describes the design of the feature as follows:
> Asynchronously, about 60 seconds after boot, a systemd timer fires which runs "/etc/update-motd.d/50-motd-news --force"

> It sources 3 admin-editable config variables in /etc/default/motd-news. The defaults are: ENABLED=1, URLS="https://motd.ubuntu.com", WAIT="5"

tl;DR - Canonical embeded ads in system motds.
tonR Feb 17, 2018
Quoting: devnulltl;DR - Canonical embeded ads in system motds.
Yes.. Forgot that they still have contract/connection with that A-shopping website.. Probably they wants data to promoting stuffs from that platform. :P
slaapliedje Feb 21, 2018
I honestly switched from Ubuntu after they ditched one of their primary goals (to have a 6 month release cycle with the latest Gnome) now they have gone back and forth on so many decisions (Mir, Unity, Upstart) that I just don't see any reason to go back to them for desktop usage. Besides, Debian is still more stable.

Also, I read somewhere that there was some attempt with laws that made things to be Opt-in instead of Opt-out, but I don't think it got anywhere, and probably wasn't about software like this, but begs the question, why isn't there an opt-in law? It is like everytime I download flash, I have to remember to uncheck mcafee! Pisses me off, everytime I set up a new Android phone, I have to tell it to not track my ad ID... etc.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.