Savage 2
Mnoleg Mar 5, 2018
I though Savage 2 had been abandoned long ago, but I just discovered their new website. It looks like there's a community of players trying to maintain it. The game works and there's a fair amount of players right now. I had lots of fun with this game in the past, so I'll be connecting from time to time as long as I can find other players.

The game can be downloaded for free at https://savage2.net/

The client didn't work out of the box for me, but I just had to remove libstdc++.so.6 from the libs folder.

Of course, there's also the old good Savage XR: http://savagexr.com/
Avehicle7887 Mar 6, 2018
Thanks for bringing this up, I had forgotten about this game and honestly I'm surprised Savage 2 even has a 64bit client! It's unfortunate that there's not many people playing them these days.
Julius Mar 6, 2018
Was my favorite game for a looooong time (on Linux of course ;) )... too bad they botched the sequel/prequel so badly it never even left early access I guess.

Would be awesome to have a game like S2 again though... would be perfect for an open-source game.
Cyril Mar 6, 2018
Quoting: RobertThe client didn't work out of the box for me, but I just had to remove libstdc++.so.6 from the libs folder.

Oh that's it? Ok i will retry then. I didn't know this game until a reddit post about it some days ago.
Their last game with a new game engine (UE 4?) seems nice, but no Linux release unfortunately.
Mnoleg Mar 6, 2018
I've been playing for a while today. There were about 20 players when I connected, not bad for a Tuesday. That was about 8:00 PM UTC. I hope it will get even better during the weekend. Please join us! :D

Yes, an open-source Savage 2 would be awesome, but I read somewhere that Heroes of Newerth uses the same engine and that's the reason why S2 Games has already rejected the idea. Not even Savage XR is open-source AFAIK, but the Newerth.com community makes a great job supporting and improving the game.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.