Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Vietcong anniversary
sonic Mar 11, 2018
Hello Linux gamers,

Vietcong game will celebrate 15 years this month and thus I would like to invite you on Vietcong anniversary party.

Introduction
Vietcong, the FPS game from 2003, will turn 15 years old this month. It is a Windows-only game, but fortunately it is now playable also in Wine (which was not true for many, many years) with little hacking. The anniversary is on March 18th, so if you want to play some old-school FPS in atmospheric coop or fun CTF, join us. The game is still alive, about 20-40 players at peak every day, so you can join the game anytime.

How to run the game
As I said, this game requires Wine to run. You can use full version or MP demo (demo allows you to join Bridge and Stream maps only):
Vietcong 1.60 on AppDB
Vietcong FistAlpha Multiplayer Demo

To prevent game from crashing, you have to use community-made util Vietcong-Starter (download at vietcong.info - needed to download both VCStarterV1.65.1.zip and VCStarter.dll (1.7 BETA)) or use Wine-staging 2.21 (do not use Wine-Staging 3.3 - there is a bug.

How to join the server
To join the game, you need to install directplay by winetricks:
$ winetricks directplay

To see ingame serverlist you need to also modify your /etc/hosts (because the game uses GameSpy, which is dead these days) to redirect GameSpy to QTracker, so add this line:
65.112.87.186 master.gamespy.com
or you can use online serverlists, such as vietcong1.eu or vietcong.tk

Some servers have slow speed for downloading maps, in that case you can grab those maps from some web servers:
www.vietcong-coop.net
www.vietcong-customs.com
www.vietcong.info

Servers
Here are some good servers I know (but it doesnt matter that other are bad):
Recommended coop servers:
vietcong.tk - COOP - teamrespawn, online statistics
the gaza strip - 1m respawn time
SOP.CLAN.free.fr Official Maps

Recommended CTF servers:
Pterodon's Stream Public - Stream map (playable with demo), up to 50 players
BLACK PAJAMAS OLD HOMI - quite interesting maps
=TD=Neo's Ballerbude - Midi map
KozoRoh.tk {CD4c} -No Nade- - CementDust map
30MiNuTeS SeRvEr - small maps, change every 30 minutes
[[AG] Osgiliath Only](https://vietcong1.eu/cs/game/server/95.85.212.73:5439) - Osgiliath City map

Other mods:
Partisans

See you in game :)
Xpander Mar 11, 2018
thanks, i might give this a go again, i dont have DVD drive though to read my old CDs/DVD's.

But it was one of the most memorable games i ever played, the singleplayer campaigns were so good and multiplayer was superb fun also.
sonic Mar 12, 2018
Yes, I understand. Some people consider it as abandonware, but if you will find some DVD drive, you could at least test if bug #33292 is valid or not :D

Anyway, you can still join multiplayer with fist alpha demo, which is compatible with full game, but allows you play only maps Bridge and Stream.

PS: I didnt expect many players here to know this game, but you surprised me :)
Xpander Mar 12, 2018
Quoting: sonicYes, I understand. Some people consider it as abandonware, but if you will find some DVD drive, you could at least test if bug #33292 is valid or not :D

Anyway, you can still join multiplayer with fist alpha demo, which is compatible with full game, but allows you play only maps Bridge and Stream.

PS: I didnt expect many players here to know this game, but you surprised me :)

back in the days the visuals were really good and the game had superb immersion. Specially the missions where you had to go into the tunnels, so many scary moments where you jumped when some enemies jumped out of nowhere. story was quite well done also.

for me vietcong and mafia were the greatest games back in the days, i think same company made them also.

i have a old laptop with CD/DVD drive, will have to check if those CDs are still readable though.
Plintslîcho Mar 13, 2018

Wow, I never expected that someone will dig this old gem up again.

Vietcong is definitely one of the best FPS I've ever played. The game had some outstanding atmosphere to it. For me it never was the graphics but more the sounds that made this game so outstanding. I still love how all environmental sounds fade away when the player fires his/her gun.

Vietcong was also the first game that I greatly enjoyed playing online. Especially playing co-op (with a highly disciplined team) was such a great experience. Till this day my experience of playing Vietcong online remains unsurpassed.

I still have the game and its expansion Fist Alpha buried between a lot of other old games. I should also have the free add-on Red Dawn available somewhere. I’m not sure if I’m willing to go through the hassle and try getting this game to run again in Wine though.
Xpander Mar 13, 2018
Quoting: PlintslîchoI still have the game and its expansion Fist Alpha buried between a lot of other old games. I should also have the free add-on Red Dawn available somewhere. I’m not sure if I’m willing to go through the hassle and try getting this game to run again in Wine though.

was no hassle at all, no wine hacks were needed. just the VCStarter from the Vietcong forum to make the game bugfree and handle todays resolutions and it runs amazingly well, no issues and 2560x1440 resolution is nicely supported also :)

i used wine-staging 3.3 with pba patches
Julius Mar 17, 2018
Oh, I wish this game was open-source. Really awesome back then... in fact when I first got it it was a pirate version, but I went out the next day and bought it because it was just sooo good (the music, the gameplay... back then a perfect mix).
Xpander Mar 18, 2018
Little Anniversary gameplay video from the Singleplayer
View video on youtube.com
slaapliedje Mar 18, 2018
Dude! Vietcong was a blast. I never played the multiplayer, since I tend to hate those. I am pretty sure I completed this game though, either that or I got to the end and was completely smashed.

In a lot of ways it reminded me of Operation: Flashpoint, but in the 'Nam.

Damn not on Steam or Gog.
sonic Mar 19, 2018
@Julius: heh, maybe someday community will try to reimplement the engine, but I doubt it... Yes its cool game, I love sounds of the jungle.
@Xpander: cool video as always!
@slaapliedje: yes, it was developed one or two years after Operation: Flashpoint by developers from the same country (Czech rep, golden age of game industry). Btw you can make a vote in GoG wishlist
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.