suggestion: stats and tables
fedso Apr 9, 2013
A possible improvement for the website would be adding statistics and detailed list of games with graphs, something in line with the games sales but for all games. More in details:

A table listing all existing linux games with the following columns:
- title
- a small image
- genre
- Metascore
- release date
- distribution (developers webpage, steam, desura...)
- price: dynamic, could be the lowest price in the last month or something else
- official page link
- link to GOL review page written by GOL users, otherwise a link to metascore should be sufficient.
- GOLScore: writing a review is time consuming but a "survey" with a few "1 to 10" question (graphics? fun? hours of play? sound effect? sound track? how easy to install? stability? bugs? support? devs communication? is it my favorite genre?...) could give a good idea of the game without much effort. Eventually a single-number-GOLScore derived by the survey would be more meaningful for linux games than metascore because the latter is intrinsically a comparison of windows games.
- a report sale button

Table of games in development:
as previous table but with crowdfunding details where applicable

Graphs:
Graphs are easy and fast to read and they attract people especially if they are updated regularly (thinking about steam stats).
- games released by month (histogram, x:month, y:#games_release_that_month)
- quality of games released by month (game weight based on Metascore or GOLScore): a user, comparing this graph to previous graph, could immediately tell if on a specific month the quality of games has been higher or lower than usual
- games released in total (line x:month, y:#games)
- games released in total with platform comparison like the graph in the recent Valve presentation (with a note about log scale ;) ). This is possible only when the total number of games per platform is available (i.e. steam)

Other statistics:
- distributions used by GOL users

Collecting data:
it should be the most automatic possible. For example last night I wrote a program to check if there are new games (including names) on steam without me having to scan the list and find what has been added.
If it needs human intervention it should be a distributed workload among a set of trusted users to keep it as light as possible on each user. It wouldn't important to have a specific user online but the number should be tuned so there will always be some user uploading data with maybe some redundancy for validation.
fedso Apr 9, 2013
update: forget about the crowsourcing list, I just noticed is in the wiki already

p.s. the wiki should be hardened, there are hundreds of fake users...
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Anti-spam_features
Liam Dawe Apr 9, 2013
I need to do a purge of all users who aren't me and whoever else actually edits, will need to look through the history.

Just need to find the time to sort it all!
fedso Apr 11, 2013
It seems only Muntdefems has contributed to the wiki so far so I think you can start cleaning and locking down before the wiki explodes with fake users...

Back to my crazy ideas, I've updated the program to check for new games on steam and now it makes graphs too :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z9wpajv5t3z3cr/graph_histogram.svg

This is an histogram where each bar represent the number of games "released on linux" on a given month, steam-only clearly and based on steam dates that are not that realistic for old releases. Bar are colored with a vertical gradient and a black section. The black section reflect the games without metascore, the gradient part with metascore, green is a good vote and red a bad vote. The gradient actually changes depending on the number of games in each bracket (I simplified considering 1-49 bad, 50-69 average, 70-89 good, 90-100 great).
If you hover over the bar a tooltip will show the titles of the games released that month in order of metascore.

Comments?
fedso Apr 15, 2013
no comments so I guess it's perfect already ;)

I'm thinking to put it in the wiki if it's fine for you but I'm not sure about the layout, I'd like to add also a list of games that will be released in the future but not crowd-funded:

Plan A:
- a page with all graphs
- a page with a list of games that will be released in the future (not crowdfunded)

or

Plan B:
- a page with a list of existing games and graphs of existing games
- a page with a list of games that will be released in the future (not crowdfunded) and related graphs

which one do you like the most?
Liam Dawe Apr 16, 2013
Finally had a chance to look it over, the graph is pretty cool.

So if i have it right the graph tracks games added to Steam that support Linux is that about right?
Liam Dawe Apr 16, 2013
Also I will eventually change the wiki link to "wiki" not "crowdfunding" so it can cover more stuff :)
fedso Apr 16, 2013
Quoting: liamdaweFinally had a chance to look it over, the graph is pretty cool.

So if i have it right the graph tracks games added to Steam that support Linux is that about right?

yes, that's correct.
That graph consider the date next to the genres in the Steam Store that I think is the Steam release, but I changed to consider the real release date of the game ("Released" column) that looks more reliable. Anyway graph is almost identical.
fedso Apr 18, 2013
graph update:
- now it uses the real release date, not the release date on steam
- colors are now computed in a more continuous way, from green (100 metascore) to red (33 metascore)
- tooltips are more readable

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5z9wpajv5t3z3cr/graph_histogram.svg

I've also done a graph with the total number of games by platform... but I don't have any data for March and earlier so it isn't that useful at the moment...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn1es2ifb31h0ow/graph_line.svg
fedso Apr 21, 2013
blue version to better match colors in Gaming on Linux website:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v12n87uyj28og58/graph_histogram_blue.svg
Liam Dawe Apr 21, 2013
Looking great! Can't wait to see it up!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.