You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
There's Wine, and then there's....what else?
dodrian Apr 16, 2018
So, as I understand it, Wine is a collection of libraries that provide Linux equivalents to the Windows libraries that .exes need to run properly. I've used Play On Linux to install and play a couple of ancient classics (RCT2, Theme Hospital, etc), and even to install Steam to play a few less-old Windows-only games (some of the GTAs, etc) that I bought before giving up my Windows partition and moving permanently to Linux.

It seems that Wine has gotten much, much, better in the past year, but it also seems to be much more complicated now.

What are Wine Tricks, Wine Staging, DKVK, etc etc, and how do they fit into the picture? Will I ever be able to play Planet Coaster?
Cmdr_Iras Apr 16, 2018
As best I can explain it;

> Winetricks
This is a helper package for installing lots of Windows specific components, .Net ; DirectX etc and has many workarounds to get these installed in WINE

> WINE Staging
This is a 'custom' version of WINE with a lot of specific extra patches and fixes to WINE to get windows applications running, the patches are not typically included in WINE as they are either not as clean as WINE likes or use hacks to get things to work where WINE would want a cleaner less hacky implementation before accepting

>DXVK
This is a new project that aims to provide a translation from DX11 to Vulkan, so that games in particular can run better under WINE than using the existing DX to OpenGL translation.
Xpander Apr 16, 2018
And for the people who don't want to mess with different prefixes, wineversions etc, just use Lutris
Though it doesn't have DXVK out of box. But with a bit of reading its easy to apply DXVK into a prefix you created for the game
frakswe Apr 16, 2018
>Will I ever be able to play Planet Coaster?

Apparantly it uses Denuvo for it's protection and other titles using it also have problems.I wouldn't recommend "those illegal things that one might find in shady underground forums" but i'm curious if that could be used as a workaround.

edit: rephrased wording,don't wanna get banned.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.