Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
KDE Plasma vs Gnome 3.28+ (Ubuntu 18.04)
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Linuxwarper Aug 7, 2018
First, if this thread is not appropriate feel free to delete it.

It's time to upgrade. But I don't think Ubuntu Gnome will be right decision. I agree with point Liam made, which was Gnome may become more polished and less problems will happen if Ubuntu uses it as well. I don't remember which other distros use it though.

That said, the memory leak and impression Gnome has made is not a good one. I care about performance, stability and simplicity. The leak, to my knowledge, has not been plugged for 18.04. It's underway though? How long will I have to wait? And as it is, Gnome uses significantly more memory than other DEs. For that reason I have considered KDE Plasma.
KDE seems to be as good as Gnome (I live booted). On other hand I hear it uses more CPU resources.

The main reason I want to go for Kubuntu is the memory usage and leak. But I don't know which is objectively better from performance (cpu, power, memory) point of view.
What do you think? What are your experiences with KDE And Gnome on 18.04?
Ehvis Aug 7, 2018
I tried the new Gnome Shell version of Ubuntu for about a month before I got fed up with it. It's not just the stability problems though. The completely brain dead choices they've made for the user interface were a constant nuisance. No, I'm not using a tablet, thank you very much.

I did want to stay with a distro that allowed me to use PPAs though. Tried Mint for a bit, but it didn't agree with me.

Now I'm on MATE. Specifically the "Mutiny" layout of MATE because I highly prefer a side bar to one at the bottom. Definitely not perfect and when it gets colder I'll probably change a few panel applets. But on the whole I'm not annoyed with it, so big plus there.
chui2ch Aug 7, 2018
I am currently using KDE on Debian Buster, but I loved my XUbuntu install. I really liked Xfce once I configured it.
jens Aug 7, 2018
  • Supporter
I'm using Gnome on Fedora 28 on my home machine and Gnome on Ubuntu 18.04 at my work. Personally I like it very much and with just a few extensions I'm more than happy with its simplicity. My impression is that performance and stability depends greatly on the hardware and used extensions. Especially on work place with an intel card it seems rock solid, even with Wayland.

I was a long term KDE user but once I figured for myself that KDE is the better choice if you want to play with and tweak your desktop and Gnome is the better choice if you want your work done and not much distraction by the desktop itself. I guess my focused moved over time to doing work ;). But in the end its a matter of taste, similar with Android vs iOS (where I prefer iOS which has less features but feels more polish for me).
Julius Aug 7, 2018
Quoting: EhvisThe completely brain dead choices they've made for the user interface were a constant nuisance. No, I'm not using a tablet, thank you very much.

Yeah first impression is a bit... ehh tablet or what? (But with a touchscreen it works great). However with some simple extensions you can make it much more like a regular desktop very easily. Overall (as a long term KDE user) I was very surprised by the polish that went into Gnome and are actually preferring it for laptop-computers now. Integration with cloud services (Nextcloud etc.) is also much better with Gnome.

But for now I am actually using Budgie on Solus Linux. It's a pretty standard desktop on a rolling release distribution (no PPA's though, but Snaps work), so have a look at that as an alternative.
Linuxwarper Aug 9, 2018
Quoting: jensBut in the end its a matter of taste, similar with Android vs iOS (where I prefer iOS which has less features but feels more polish for me).
According to this video uses 840 MB less memory than Gnome?
If that's true and not misinformation, how is Gnome vs KDE a matter of taste?
lucinos Aug 9, 2018
Quoting: LinuxwarperAccording to this video uses 840 MB less memory than Gnome?

I do not know, I hate Gnome with a passion... So I can not compare them these days.

I am using KDE since 2014 and what I can say is that it is getting lighter and lighter with every version. This is the reverse with what used to happen. It is actually very light these days. If Gnome does not have the same trend 840MB less memory for KDE does not seem strange to me.
Pikolo Aug 9, 2018
KDE uses far less RAM than Gnome, because it's written in C++ and the KDE project is quite diligent about deduplicating dependencies. A full KDE desktop can usually fit in ~400 MBs, but the gains increase as you open more KDE family programs and there isn't much to gain by closing them, since even LXQT was hard pressed to reach 340 MB.
For CPU usage, it stays about 1-2% per core on my laptop, so it's not noticeable. It will obviously depend on the quantity of widgets you install and other programs your distro runs in the background.

It will use more at first, because KDE uses a program called baloo to index your whole disk for full text search inside files, but this will finish within three days(it's intentionally a low resource/long time activity). You can disable or uninstall baloo if every CPU cycle matters to you.

Short explanation on Gnomes attrocious memory usage: Gnome3 is written in Vala, which is mostly C(quite efficient and lean on memory), but the majority of Gnome plugins, many of which run by default, are written in Javascript and the browser engine hosting them(Chromium) is the culprit of the memory usage.
jens Aug 9, 2018
  • Supporter
Quoting: Linuxwarper
Quoting: jensBut in the end its a matter of taste, similar with Android vs iOS (where I prefer iOS which has less features but feels more polish for me).
According to this video uses 840 MB less memory than Gnome?

I can understand that this is important for some people, but personally I'm not obsessed with the memory usage of my system and I don't care. I have plenty of RAM and was never short of it ;). Other things are much more important for me.
Avehicle7887 Aug 9, 2018
I'm a Mate person but if I had to choose between KDE and Gnome, I'd pick KDE. Every time I used GNOME it felt a bit bulky meanwhile KDE feels lighter, even when used on lower end hardware.
Linuxwarper Aug 10, 2018
Quoting: jensI can understand that this is important for some people, but personally I'm not obsessed with the memory usage of my system and I don't care. I have plenty of RAM and was never short of it ;). Other things are much more important for me.
I actually have sufficient ram too but I would chose efficient software over lesser efficient ones if they both fullfill the use cases adequately. From what I've seen of Gnome and KDE, I actually prefer KDE's GUI and design more than Gnome. And I can't say see what makes Gnome so special that I would chose to sacrifice SIGNIFICANT amount of memory for it.

Quoting: PikoloKDE uses far less RAM than Gnome, because it's written in C++ and the KDE project is quite diligent about deduplicating dependencies. A full KDE desktop can usually fit in ~400 MBs, but the gains increase as you open more KDE family programs and there isn't much to gain by closing them, since even LXQT was hard pressed to reach 340 MB.
For CPU usage, it stays about 1-2% per core on my laptop, so it's not noticeable. It will obviously depend on the quantity of widgets you install and other programs your distro runs in the background.

It will use more at first, because KDE uses a program called baloo to index your whole disk for full text search inside files, but this will finish within three days(it's intentionally a low resource/long time activity). You can disable or uninstall baloo if every CPU cycle matters to you.

Short explanation on Gnomes attrocious memory usage: Gnome3 is written in Vala, which is mostly C(quite efficient and lean on memory), but the majority of Gnome plugins, many of which run by default, are written in Javascript and the browser engine hosting them(Chromium) is the culprit of the memory usage.
This is such a sensible post. Thank you! I am now more certain KDE will be right choice for me.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.