You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
KDE Plasma vs Gnome 3.28+ (Ubuntu 18.04)
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
jens Aug 10, 2018
  • Supporter
Quoting: LinuxwarperAnd I can't say see what makes Gnome so special that I would chose to sacrifice SIGNIFICANT amount of memory for it.

You don't have to. By all means, please be happy with KDE and I'm happy for you that you found an environment that works for you. I have different priorities and a different taste than you, hence I made a different choice.
Ehvis Aug 10, 2018
The wonderful world of choice!
trex91 Sep 6, 2018
Personally if I had to choose between Gnome which works better with Online Services out of the Box but feels like more a Tablet Desktop and KDE which is more like a real desktop with less Online Services working out of the box I would still choose KDE. But for the good things we have xfce, Budgie, Mate and others that have the best of both worlds.
slaapliedje Sep 6, 2018
gnome-shell takes an entire 96MB of ram on my system right now. What are you guys doing to gnome that makes it so heavy? Is this an Ubuntu issue (I run Debian Buster right now). By the way, Ubuntu has tweaked gnome from standard gnome, so maybe that's where you're seeing the memory differences.
slaapliedje Sep 6, 2018
Quoting: trex91Personally if I had to choose between Gnome which works better with Online Services out of the Box but feels like more a Tablet Desktop and KDE which is more like a real desktop with less Online Services working out of the box I would still choose KDE. But for the good things we have xfce, Budgie, Mate and others that have the best of both worlds.
Gnome-Shell for me is simply a launcher for applications. Generally you don't want to be 'using your desktop' you want to be using your applications, and Gnome tends to just stay out of the way. My problem with KDE is that the interface for the settings is so filled with options, that I've occasionally had to use a search engine just to figure out exactly how to change a configuration.

If you have to spend more than a minute looking for a setting, then it's probably badly designed. Mind you, I play around with a lot of old operating systems, just to play around with them (Like FreeMiNT on the Atari ST computers, or AmigaOS). Gnome is just simple and elegant and gets out of my way.

By the way, Plasma is working on a mobile desktop as well, but unlike Gnome it's normal desktop doesn't work well in both scenarios.
jens Sep 6, 2018
  • Supporter
Quoting: slaapliedjeGnome-Shell for me is simply a launcher for applications. Generally you don't want to be 'using your desktop' you want to be using your applications, and Gnome tends to just stay out of the way.

Yes, that nails it. Same reasoning here too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.