You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
New mouse
Ehvis Aug 10, 2018
Since my trusty Logitech MX 518 appears to be dying after a long life of about 8 years. I need to start thinking about a new one.

What are good mice for Linux gaming these days? Specifically in terms of Linux support and gaming on Linux.

Note:
- I like my thumb buttons.
- The MX 518 is a good reference for the shape and size I find comfortable.
- I *need* my scroll wheel to be a button as well. This was (is?) a problem with Logitech making free rotating wheels where clicking the scroll wheel only changed the mode.
- I have no need for bells, whistles and rgb leds.

What is your opinion?
drlamb Aug 10, 2018
I personally use Logitech's G403 wireless and I love it (the middle mouse button is just that, a button)...though mice are highly subjective as we all have different needs, hand sizes, etc.

That being said, I would make sure that whatever mouse you choose works with piper if you want an easy to use GUI for configuring your mouse. Note that some mouse vendors have their own open source config tools but piper is pretty vendor agnostic.

https://github.com/libratbag/piper
Sigbjorn Aug 10, 2018
Hi! I'm sorry I can't really recommend a good mouse to you, but in case your dying mouse refers to the infamous problem that plagues Logitech mice where clicks start behaving randomly, usually with unsolicited double-clicks, I'd suggest trying to fix it before changing it. :) It's relatively easy not so hard. The culprit is a very tiny piece of metal inside the microswitch that acts as a spring. You can either bend it into shape or change it, which is very cheap. Here is a very detailed article on that :
http://www.redferret.net/?p=31008

I'm not sure it applies to your specific model, but it might be worth a look.

And if your mouse is dying for other reasons, well at least I shared a very useful link that might help many. (And I think it was worth creating an account to do just that. ^^' )
Ehvis Aug 12, 2018
G403 doesn't look too bad actually. The Chinese one is silly price. Almost worth to order it just as a spare. :D

@Sigbjorn Buttons are still fine actually. It's just general wear, especially the sliding surfaces, and probably an almost break in the cable somewhere.
ageres Aug 12, 2018
My mouse is Logitech M705, I have been using it for 5 or 6 years. It's wireless and laser. It doesn't switch off when you don't use it for a minute, so you don't have to click it first to use it, unlike optical wireless mice. But two AA batteries can power it for more than two years! The downside is that, as every Logitech mouse, after a couple years its left button starts double-clicking, as described above.
Rhythagoras Aug 13, 2018
I could never find a proper replacement for my mx518... But on newegg, a few weeks ago, I found someone selling 'new' in bulk packaging mx518s. So I bought one, and it is just as good as the original. Best mouse ever.
wolfyrion Aug 13, 2018
For me I use corsair mouse , especially M65 Pro RGB :)
Ehvis Sep 2, 2018
Actually went to a store to feel a few mice IRL. None of the Logitech's unfortunately. One felt instantly right, the "Razer Mamba Tournament Edition 5G". But that's a pricey beast and I wonder if the quality is actually good enough to warrant that price tag.
Shmerl Sep 2, 2018
I'm using Logitech G400s, since I like its ergonomics.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.