Help Me Figure Out How to Justify A Linux Build for Dungeon of Elements
Michael Hartman May 30, 2013
I asked this question on a message thread, but it is probably better here:

I am the founder of the studio making of Dungeon of Elements: an RPG dungeon crawler with combat inspired by Dr. Mario and Tetris. DoE is currently on Kickstarter (65% funded after 10 of 30 days). Kickstarter url:

http://kck.st/14J1UWT

We would really like to add Linux support, and frankly, I'd much prefer adding it before a stretch goal. I always feel like it is weird having new platforms as a stretch goal. I understand why people do it as a stretch goal, but I am a huge Linux fan and would much prefer offering it straight away. I always felt it was a bummer for Linux gamers to have to take a huge risk pushing for a stretch goal just to be able to PLAY the game they like.

The real question for us is whether doing a Linux build will add enough people for us to recoup our costs. Frogdice is a small indie studio, and we have to be careful and efficient with our time. 

Do you all think it is possible that we could add 100 or more Linux gamers if we added a Linux build option? 

How would we get the word out so Linux gamers would know about it? We have a hard enough time getting the word out to PC gamers!

Dungeon of Elements is really a delightful, fun game that we are extremely proud of. It was overwhelmingly loved at PAX East, but we didn't have our KS going yet. 

What do you all think?

Thanks,
muntdefems May 30, 2013
100 Linux sales surely don't seem an unreachable goal, but I don't have any inner information about the Linux gaming market so I couldn't really say.

From our end, we included DoE in our [crowdfunding wiki](http://www.gamingonlinux.com/crowdfunding/index.php5?title=List_of_crowdfunding_games#Ongoing) (didn't I already tell you in Kickstarter?) and talked about the game in [our last crowdfunding column](http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/the-funding-crowd-3-may-20th-may-26th.2026). And after the Linux support announcement, expect us to talk about it again next weekend. :)

Apart from that, I'd try to reach any Linux gaming website out there. The Links section in this page's header is a good reference.

Also, in case you aren't already planning on doing it, try to get on Steam Greenlight ASAP. I can't think of a better showroom for indie games right now. You'll be able to reach both Windows, Mac and Linux communities there.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.