Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
[solved] Steam stable and proton test
donbastiano Aug 30, 2018
After reading the news about proton on STABLE, yesterday I had to redeem and activate 31 games from old humblebundles, of course none of them are on the official supported list :D

So, today I checked for steam client update, enabled steamplay for all the games and installed a couple of game, i.e. Lumino City, that on the unofficial list is marked as working (2 tests) but not on my computer.

I renamed the user_settings.sample.py to user_settings.py but I cannot find any log on my $HOME directory. Any idea? Is it normal that the proton directory, as in the FAQ created on the same "disk" of the first game downloaded that is the (secondary) HD rather than the (primary) SSD, contains:
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano     12810 ago 30 15:12 filelock.py
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano      2623 ago 30 15:12 LICENSE
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano     16963 ago 30 15:12 proton
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano 375412535 ago 30 15:24 proton_dist.tar.gz
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano       215 ago 30 15:24 toolmanifest.vdf
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano       574 ago 30 15:24 user_settings.py
-rwxr-xr-x  1 donbastiano donbastiano        11 ago 30 15:24 version

when the tar.gz is very big while "proton" is not?

Just for curiosity, do you think that is better to have proton on the SSD, I mean what can it change? The startup time of any steamplay game?
whizse Aug 31, 2018
Are you in the right directory? If you have enabled the Proton beta the user_settings.py file should be in the "Proton 3.7 Beta" dir in steamapps/common.

Otherwise, try setting PROTON_LOG=1 %command% in the games launch options.
donbastiano Aug 31, 2018
Actually I was on the default Proton. Now I selected the beta and the game starts, I think the problem was that for some reason the "tar.gz" was not extracted and in fact in the "Proton 3.7 Beta" there is a "dist" directory containing the files in that archive (which maybe can be removed without problem)

Thank you
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.