You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Dell XPS 9570
wojtek88 Sep 3, 2018
Hi guys,
I am a programmer and I'm looking for a new laptop. I hope to buy it this year and I started to consider Dell XPS 9570. It has Nvidia Geforce 1050 TI on board. I just wonder - does any of you have it? How does it work with Linux? I know that Dell used to have developer edition of their notebooks, however this time only 13 inch version will have preinstalled Ubuntu.
Please share all the input you have regarding this notebook.
damarrin Sep 3, 2018
Dell still sells the XPS 13 with Ubuntu just not where you possibly reside (PL?). I was actually looking at their DE website the other day where it's available, but they only ship to Germany.

Here's a thread I found about the XPS 15: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1042414/trying-to-install-ubuntu-on-dell-xps-15-9570 . It seems the experience is not smooth.
g000h Sep 3, 2018
I set up Windows 10 Enterprise onto a Dell XPS 9560 recently, and even doing that was beset with difficulties. Dell seem to have reserved part of the SSD drive for their recovery software, and it is write-protected from re-partitioning/deleting that bit of drive. Then you need to turn off Secure Boot / remove the Secure Boot keys in order to set up custom, corporate Windows (similar to what you'd need to do for Linux). They're nice-looking machines, but I'd tend to seek out something more practical for myself and Linux. [For instance, I like built-in ethernet port and I like to have easy access to upgrade/replace SSD, RAM, Battery.]
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.