Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Less a suggestion but more of a question.
lucifertdark Sep 11, 2018
Today we have games that were developed specifically for Windows able to be easily installed & played in Linux, going forward this means that potentially any game developed on or for Windows is going to be available for Linux, this is a huge change in the gaming landscape of Linux, going forward potentially any game developed for Windows is going to be for Linux as well by default, does this mean GamingOnLinux is going to change as well?

Are we going to start seeing Windows only games(developed only with windows in mind by the developers) being reviewed & announced here?

Does it even matter about the Windows only label anymore if we can now potentially install a game in Linux from day one?

What do you think? Linux gaming has changed forever that's for sure.
tuubi Sep 11, 2018
Quoting: lucifertdarkAre we going to start seeing Windows only games(developed only with windows in mind by the developers) being reviewed & announced here?
I don't think this makes sense. There's plenty of Windows game review sites out there, and articles in the vein of "this works on Steam Play" wouldn't add much. And personally I still ignore a game unless the developer officially supports it on Linux, so that would be a bunch of articles I'd have to skip.

Of course, if official Proton wrapped "ports" become a thing, that changes things. I don't mind Wine wrappers (for older games and ones that wouldn't get a port otherwise). A Linux release is a Linux release, and I would like to see a review here. This is the only gaming related site I actually follow and support after all.
Quoting: tuubiI don't think this makes sense. There's plenty of Windows game review sites out there, and articles in the vein of "this works on Steam Play" wouldn't add much. And personally I still ignore a game unless the developer officially supports it on Linux, so that would be a bunch of articles I'd have to skip.

Of course, if official Proton wrapped "ports" become a thing, that changes things. I don't mind Wine wrappers (for older games and ones that wouldn't get a port otherwise). A Linux release is a Linux release, and I would like to see a review here. This is the only gaming related site I actually follow and support after all.
Well it was just an early morning half asleep thought, it doesn't make as much sense now I'm wide awake.
Liam Dawe Sep 11, 2018
It still remains to be seen how it will affect things.

No matter what way we go, there will be a split between people who want news about titles in Steam Play and those who want news on native titles.

Our absolute focus is still native titles, unless Steam Play changes the scene dramatically that's not going to change.

We will continue to track Steam Play and report on updates to it, how it's going and so on because it IS interesting stuff.
tuubi Sep 11, 2018
Quoting: liamdaweWe will continue to track Steam Play and report on updates to it, how it's going and so on because it IS interesting stuff.
Agreed. I didn't mean to imply any bias against what Valve is doing and all the tech involved in their Steam Play effort is fascinating. I've been following Wine with interest over the years even if I haven't found much use for it myself.

Reviews of Windows games would be less useful IMHO, and would dilute the worth of this site for both Linux gamers and developers.
Salvatos Sep 11, 2018
I don't see where Liam would find the time to report on every compatible Windows game anyway :)
damarrin Sep 11, 2018
I'd say news that a given interesting game is now officially supported by Steam Play would be welcome. Like a GTAV or Overwatch.

Any unofficial reports of compatibility are probably best left to the various lists we already have an over-abundance of.

News on new versions of Steam Play with main changes will probably be useful as well.

In other words, I think Liam should be doing exactly what he's been doing so far. :-)
Liam Dawe Sep 11, 2018
Yeah, I think when new titles gain official compatibility, that we will report on - because that's actual news. At that point, I may even do my own testing to report on it like I did a video or two of DOOM. Outside of that, I'm still swamped in native Linux gaming news, interviews and so on.
I have a feeling the list of officially compatible games is going to explode very soon, Ive lost count of the number (triple digits) of games in my library that just work without any messing about on my part.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.