Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Audio
Ehvis Sep 14, 2018
It's about time to replace my PC, so I'm doing some preliminary investigations.

One thing that has always given me issues is sound. For instance, if I have a video player open and I go to the website of my bank using Firefox, I get a whole bunch of distortion in the audio.

Investigating this problem I managed to dig up that there are some issues with inaccurate hardware timers causing this and a pulseaudio option was given that could fix it. And it did! For that case. Next I found that the State of Mind game was now giving me crackling noises. So great, either this or that.

I have a few more but that doesn't really matter.

Since I'm not too picky about audio, it would be nice if the motherboard audio is actually good and doesn't have any issues. So far my new mainboard, what would be the audio chipsets to look out for or avoid? Does anybody have experience with that?
Xpander Sep 14, 2018
im using external one, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, zero issues, but also i use JACK with pulseaudio. Pulseaudio has JACK sinks and sources, never had audio crackling with this setup. I strongly recommend a good DAC instead of those integrated audio solutions, but i hear newer int audio chips are quite good, still theres some noise because its inside the machine where all the electrical parts are.
razing32 Sep 17, 2018
I honestly have been using USB headset with its own sound system , i forgot about cracking issues.
I recall having some but not many.

Wasn't there a way around it ? Something like giving audio higher priority so as to reduce latency ?
I believe I saw it in a guide to use JACK.
Ehvis Sep 17, 2018
I only wear headsets when I absolutely have to, so that's not a solution for me.
Ehvis Sep 18, 2018
Quoting: GuestPulseaudio is buggy and slows your computer. Use alsa, gstreamer and jack for pro audio. Use chrome, firefox does not support alsa.

Pulse does appear to be problematic. Jack has always sounded interesting, but I haven't researched what is involved to do something like that. For now, I lack the time to do so.
Xpander Sep 18, 2018
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: GuestPulseaudio is buggy and slows your computer. Use alsa, gstreamer and jack for pro audio. Use chrome, firefox does not support alsa.

Pulse does appear to be problematic. Jack has always sounded interesting, but I haven't researched what is involved to do something like that. For now, I lack the time to do so.

JACK is fairly simple to setup with qjackctl, if you use jack with dbus it will automatically add jack sinks and sources to pulseaudio, if your pulseaudio jack package is installed. No need for manual config anymore.

[
Ehvis Sep 18, 2018
Quoting: XpanderJACK is fairly simple to setup with qjackctl, if you use jack with dbus it will automatically add jack sinks and sources to pulseaudio, if your pulseaudio jack package is installed. No need for manual config anymore.

Does that uninstall Pulseaudio and put its own pulse compatible thing in place? Or does it work together? I might experiment with it.
Xpander Sep 18, 2018
Quoting: Ehvis
Quoting: XpanderJACK is fairly simple to setup with qjackctl, if you use jack with dbus it will automatically add jack sinks and sources to pulseaudio, if your pulseaudio jack package is installed. No need for manual config anymore.

Does that uninstall Pulseaudio and put its own pulse compatible thing in place? Or does it work together? I might experiment with it.

i dunno how its done on ubuntu but on arch its just a separate pulseaudio-jack package that activates jack sink and source detection. probably ubuntu has similar or maybe its just packaged already inside the pulseaudio package there.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.