Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
GTK RSS reader and YouTube
chui2ch Oct 12, 2018
I used Akregator when I was on KDE, but now that I am using XFCE I would like to stick with a GTK based reader. I am looking for one that allows me to copy the links to YouTube videos so I can play them in VLC. This would allow me to avoid the YouTube website. I tried FeedReader, but it did not allow me to copy the link of the video. It would only open it in my browser.

Thanks in advance.
whizse Oct 12, 2018
I use Liferea and a custom downloader (just a simple shell script) to feed YouTube links to MPV.
chui2ch Oct 12, 2018
Quoting: whizseI use Liferea and a custom downloader (just a simple shell script) to feed YouTube links to MPV.
Would you mind sharing the script?
whizse Oct 12, 2018
To clarify, I use the "Downloading Enclosures" functionality in Liferea as a hack to launch YouTube urls in a video player. It's available if you right click on a link and use "Save Link As".

Looking at the Liferea preferences, there's support for a custom command now, so a script shouldn't be necessary. If you're using an older version the script would essentially consist of:

!#/bin/bash
vlc "$1"

Make it executable, name it like one of the supported download programs Liferea already supports (e.g. aria2), and place it somewhere in $PATH.
chui2ch Oct 12, 2018
Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get home.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.