[FIXED] "View more articles by XXXX" doesn't work
muntdefems Jul 3, 2013
I was trying to review all my articles in order to categorize them properly but looks like the "View more articles by $WHOMEVER" function doesn't work and all I get is this warning:

Warning: PDOStatement::execute(): SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'a.category_id' in 'on clause' in /home/gamingonlinux/public_html/includes/class_mysql.php on line 59
Alex V.Sharp Jul 3, 2013
Also, after the update now there doesn't seem to be any tags showing on articles at all. :/
muntdefems Jul 3, 2013
There are tags, but only at the bottom of the article and not at the top or on the home page. I think it's quite reasonable not to put any on the home page, or else it could easily get too cluttered, but why not putting them at the top of articles (e.g. besides the title)?
Alex V.Sharp Jul 3, 2013
I'll have to disagree with you about it being unreasonable to have any tags on the homepage. A visitor should be able to deduce which article is about what at first glance, and titles alone won't help with that. 

Since we have quite generic tags, and I don't think you'd need more than three tags, four tops, to accurately describe what an article is about. Chances of the homepage getting cluttered are rather low imho.

I believe we should have a maximum of four tags showing on the homepage, unobtrusively below the article's title.
muntdefems Jul 3, 2013
My assumption was that anyone particularly interested in one type of articles would use the "View by category" filter, but I can see your point too. Dunno, let's see what Liam thinks about it...
Liam Dawe Jul 3, 2013
Oh goodie i broke stuff!

Search and View more articles FIXED.

As for tags on home page, I think showing a max of 4 is reasonable.

As for the position inside articles do people before them above?
muntdefems Jul 3, 2013
Quoting: liamdaweSearch and View more articles FIXED.

Thanks, I've tagged all of my articles. :)

Quoting: liamdaweAs for tags on home page, I think showing a max of 4 is reasonable.

As for the position inside articles do people before them above?

Yeah, Alex was right, the tags fit nicely in the homepage and don't clutter it at all.

About the tag's position inside articles I don't really know... In short articles they are fine as it is, but in longer ones (as the Funding Crowds or the Cheapskate's Corners) they would be easier to find if they were located at the top.
Liam Dawe Jul 5, 2013
Okay tags are now at the top of the article, I agree tags need to be in focus a lot to make them useful.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.