Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Game recomendation
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
Gryxx Jan 1, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: damarrinKnowing how cd project operates and how MS is doing in Poland, I’d be very surprised if they chose Vulkan over a MS-proprietary technology.

How is MS doing in Poland? I'm not familiar with it.
For first, CD Red has a bad attitude towards Linux gamin after teaming up with VP to get "Witcher 2" on Linux. Partially our fault but they still does not see our platform as a viable market. Especially considering that their only attempt only brought them bad fame.

For MS- in Poland it is overwhelming. Government is not only using it (which is pretty normal), but it goes further.
Most government funded technologies that are not puery web based have significant difficulties running on Linux, from not being available at all, to requiring software that is no longer supported since 2011. Additionally, using OSS systems in education is discouraged- subjects are closely tied to proprietary MS solutions- like Paint and Word (and seriously, why do you need to learn drawing in Paint?). Politician who was trying to push Linux into educating system lost her job. Apparently it was not due to pushing Linux per se, it was more about that she tried to repair broken system that we currently have. And someone just didn't want to deal with competent person that was constantly fighting for resources to continue her projects.

Given this circumstances being Linux only in Poland can be pretty hard. I don't have first hand experience from other countries, but here finding someone proficient enough with Linux to get port done internally is pretty hard.
For quick comparison, programmer witch low Linux skills can have triple average payment.

PS> Sorry for language, i'm not proficient enough to clearly express my thought about this subject.
damarrin Jan 2, 2019
Yeah, that about sums it up.

Companies are more than happy to saddle their clients with MS's proprietary tech because they then a) get huge discounts on MS software that they themselves use and b) can sell MS products to their customers. The govt probably is just happy to adopt whatever MS tells them to so they can then get their cheap Windows and Office licenses. It's all very well constructed and marketed.

I guess since all this stuff is relatively expensive people are falling over themselves at any opportunity to get it cheaper, but still keep it legal. Free software doesn't have that pull. It's similar to how it's much cooler to use something pirated than something that is free to begin with, even if quality is equivalent - the notion of getting something "valuable" for nothing is very attractive.
damarrin Jan 2, 2019
Quoting: GryxxFor quick comparison, programmer witch low Linux skills can have triple average payment.

I did not know that. Maybe I should start looking around for a job. ;-)
Gryxx Jan 2, 2019
Quoting: damarrin
Quoting: GryxxFor quick comparison, programmer witch low Linux skills can have triple average payment.

I did not know that. Maybe I should start looking around for a job. ;-)

That's pretty crude estimation. I just compared average payent to a random Linux-programmer job offer that happend to have expected payment publicly visible. How much can you earn can easly differ. Although when i was looking for job few years back i found that having good knowledge about Linux and its whereabouts can get you a job for about 7000pln (~1800EUR) without any experience required.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.