Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Any information about Metro Exodus on linux ?
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Nov 17, 2020
Quoting: Liam Dawe
Quoting: robvvI think it's fair to say that the ME port has been quietly dropped.
It has not last we spoke to them.
Good to hear. Still kind of pissed about Serious Sam 4 though. Seems whomever was the big Linux fan at Croteam left or something.
CatKiller Nov 17, 2020
Quoting: slaapliedjeStill kind of pissed about Serious Sam 4 though. Seems whomever was the big Linux fan at Croteam left or something.

That was Alen Ladavac.
robvv Nov 17, 2020
Quoting: robvvI think it's fair to say that the ME port has been quietly dropped.

Steam depot hasn't been updated since 18th July. GoL last published something about the port on 28th February.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think it's coming and even if it does: most people will have played it on Proton by then. Then there'll be the claim of low Linux sales...
dvd Nov 18, 2020
Quoting: robvv

Steam depot hasn't been updated since 18th July. GoL last published something about the port on 28th February.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I don't think it's coming and even if it does: most people will have played it on Proton by then. Then there'll be the claim of low Linux sales...

I'm still waiting with the purchase for Metro, same with Wasteland 3, but i don't expect either to come out at this point.
slaapliedje Nov 19, 2020
Quoting: dvd
Quoting: robvv

I'm still waiting with the purchase for Metro, same with Wasteland 3, but i don't expect either to come out at this point.
Same on both. Maybe if companies are told they are losing sales because they promised Linux versions but never released.... but then that could backfire and we just won't hear them promise anymore. I think the best thing to do is respectfully ask if a game is getting a Linux release and perhaps a when, but don't demand it, more just a friendly 'I would buy this right now if you supported Linux.' Comment. It is a shame I couldn't bring myself to buy Serious Sam 4 for the same reason.
Alm888 Nov 20, 2020
Quoting: slaapliedjeMaybe if companies are told they are losing sales because they promised Linux versions but never released....
Oh, be realistic! They are not losing any sales at all. Everyone interested has purchased a Windows copy and is happily playing with Proton™ right now.
Want a proof? Even this thread in the "Native Linux Gaming" sub-forum has been derailed by someone into "Proton™ support".

Last edited by Alm888 on 20 November 2020 at 7:35 am UTC
slaapliedje Nov 20, 2020
Quoting: Alm888
Quoting: slaapliedjeMaybe if companies are told they are losing sales because they promised Linux versions but never released....
Oh, be realistic! They are not losing any sales at all. Everyone interested has purchased a Windows copy and is happily playing with Proton™ right now.
Want a proof? Even this thread in the "Native Linux Gaming" sub-forum has been derailed by someone into "Proton™ support".
They have literally lost sales based on my own decisions, sure maybe that's one, but I can't be the only one who has made a decision not to buy a game based on if it has a native Linux release.
Edit: is Proton trademarked, or are you just being a turd? :P

Last edited by slaapliedje on 20 November 2020 at 7:00 pm UTC
slaapliedje Nov 20, 2020
Quoting: Alm888
Question for the Proton haters: Do you also hate engine recreations? How are they any different? Proton/Wine uses library translations to get software to run, an engine recreation (let's use OpenMW as an example), it runs native, but you still need to purchase a Windows game to play it. But you never hear people bitch and moan about all the open source engines that still require a Windows purchase.
robvv Nov 20, 2020
Quoting: slaapliedjeQuestion for the Proton haters: Do you also hate engine recreations? How are they any different? Proton/Wine uses library translations to get software to run, an engine recreation (let's use OpenMW as an example), it runs native, but you still need to purchase a Windows game to play it. But you never hear people bitch and moan about all the open source engines that still require a Windows purchase.

Well, we all have the original CDs of course... ahem...

More seriously, I think Proton is great but I would prefer native as this obliges the devs to support the games. Of course there are some devs who actively support using their game with Proton, which is also fine with me.

With regard to "Proton-haters", I cannot get into that mindset at all. These are usually the same people who applaud GOG for their (minimal) efforts and then complain about the lack of Galaxy integration and late game updates / releases compared with Steam.
Alm888 Nov 20, 2020
Quoting: slaapliedje…I can't be the only one who has made a decision not to buy a game based on if it has a native Linux release.
No, you are not the only one (I am being the second :P ). But you have to grasp the reality: NTNB folk is the minority now and some "Linux gaming" proponents are even having the audacity to call us "zealots" and traitors of the "Linux Gaming Cause" (I am mostly referring to this guy ).
Come to this Reddit subforum and see for yourself how it turned into "Gaming With Proton" (mostly).
Quoting: slaapliedjeEdit: is Proton trademarked, or are you just being a turd? :P
One does not contradict with the other :) That being said, I believe it is: any sane company will trademark everything it can if not out of malice, than just to prevent squatters from snatching a brand and demanding a ransom. Even the Linux™ itself and its logo are trademarked.
Quoting: slaapliedjeQuestion for the Proton haters: Do you also hate engine recreations?
Please, try not to derail the thread. But I'll bite (even if I'm not a true Proton-hater bacause I have nothing against its core component -- WINE™ -- as it allows me to enjoy a lot of Windows™ games like "Iji" or "Peret em Heru: For the Prisoners").

Personally I find "engine recreations" (like OpenRA, OpenMV and the likes) to be a waste of time. They are a products of grown-up kids (now programmers) having a "duckling syndrome" and trying to reanimate games of their childhood. Two problems here (IMO): 1) these games are water under the bridge -- they have value only to said programmers due to their fond memories, but will not make Linux a viable gaming platform to new generations; and 2) this illustrates that Linux ecosystem might have a lot of skilled programmers, but it sorely lacks creative game designers -- the upper limit a programmer (on her/his own) can do is replicating, not creating something new.

I find creating open source game engines like Godot to be a far more viable task. Easy to use and robust general purpose game engines will bring in game designers, artists, writers and other content creators our ecosystem lacks.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.