You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Bought a server. Willing to "donate" it to GOL
n30p1r4t3 Jul 24, 2013
Hello all,
I bought a server with 2x Quad Core Xeons. I might add some more ram, but I really have no need for it. I'd be willing to host a GOL gaming server for Left 4 Dead 2 or something? Please let me know if this might be something you'd be interested in. -Dakota

I would basically have to host it out of my dorm in the fall. Unless you wanna pay for UK shipping!
SteamPenguin Jul 25, 2013
Wow very generous you should post the rest of the specs so Liam will know what games it will be ok for
n30p1r4t3 Jul 25, 2013
I imagine anything once upgraded. Full Specs:

* 2X Intel Xeon L5430 (I think) Processors 2.66Ghz. So 8 Total cores.
* Only 2GB of ram, up to 64 (DDR2 is expensive though, but I might upgrade when my wallet recovers)
* No HDD, but I have a few lying around and they're pretty cheap. 
*DVD drives
* Dual GPUs of unknown spec. (Haven't received yet)

Dell Precision T7400 Series Server

[center][img=500x600]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Dell-Precision-T7400-Server-2x-Intel-Xeon-Quad-Core-2-66GHz-2GB-DVD-RW-/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/VPAAAOxylYZR5amj/$T2eC16dHJI!FHSCzFIv0BR5,mjE5,Q~~60_57.JPG[/img]
[/center]
Levi Jul 25, 2013
Wow that's quite nice.

Did some quick searching and it appears this has a server motherboard, so it needs ECC memory or better said expensive stuff. But 2GB will come a long way at first.
n30p1r4t3 Jul 26, 2013
Quoting: LeviWow that's quite nice.

Did some quick searching and it appears this has a server motherboard, so it needs ECC memory or better said expensive stuff. But 2GB will come a long way at first.

I hadn't looked yet because my wallet was afraid...
Liam Dawe Jul 26, 2013
Hi there this is a very very kind offer, I wouldn't personally be able to host a server myself as our internet isn't the best.

A L4D2 server would be very welcome though!
n30p1r4t3 Jul 26, 2013
I'll see about setting that up then.  ETA about a month.
n30p1r4t3 Jul 26, 2013
And speak of the devil I just bought 16GBs of ddr2 server Ram.
n30p1r4t3 Aug 13, 2013
Had to sell it due to "electrical concerns" But I will  look into running a server by other means.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.