Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
What's the first game you played on Linux?
Page: 1/6»
  Go to:
n30p1r4t3 Jul 25, 2013
Looking at things now, Linux gamers have a ton of options, but just a couple of years ago things weren't like that. I started messing around Linux in 2008 with Ubuntu 8.04, and I can still remember the first game I downloaded and played on Linux. 

Neverball 

This fun game captured many hours of my time in early middle school, and often left me frustrated beyond belief. The genre of this game is still quite popular today, especially on mobile devices. If you haven't played it, it's FREE!

What's the first game you purchased for Linux? 

My first purchase for Linux didn't happen until 2011 (mostly due to the lack of money), and even then AAA Linux games were few and far between, but when I saw the screenshots for Oil Rush I just had to have it. 

Oil Rush 

[img=300x200]http://oilrush-game.com/static/img/screenshots/oilrush_54.jpg[/img] [img=300x200]http://oilrush-game.com/static/img/screenshots/oilrush_34.jpg[/img]

$20 to me was a lot of money, and I chose to invest it in a Linux game. One of which I have played since the early alpha days and still occasionally play today. 

What's the last game you purchased for Linux?

Linux gaming is growing, you'd have to be a fool to disagree. Hundreds of new games are being developed for Linux as we speak, and the most recent one to catch my eye is on kickstarter. 

7 Days to Die

[img=250x200]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/768/456/20bc48bb088082eb16f73ec085d23ef2_large.jpg?1374547901[/img]  [img=250x200]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/751/129/7215219b55a88bd1f5eb872923cf9b4f_large.jpg?1373988235[/img]  [img=250x200]https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/assets/000/751/130/606444807955a1412492f42067765c66_large.jpg?1373988268[/img]

This game seems to combine two of my favorite games: Minecraft and Left 4 Dead. I eagerly await the release of this game, but in the meantime I hope the developer reaches their kickstarter goal.

Whats the next game you will purchase for Linux? 

Baring and steam sales, the next game I'm going to purchase is one I've had my eye n for a long time.

Overgrowth

I never played Lugaru, but the look and feel of this game really intrigue me. I find it amazing that only two people are working on this game at a time and can only imagine what this game will be once completed. 

What free Linux game are you still playing? 

OpenMW

A project that started in 2008, OpenMW is doing something not many would even attempt; rewriting a game. I started playing OpenMW a couple of years back, and since I haven't actually played through the story (waiting for final/stable release), but I usually download the latest update and test out the new features. I hope this project continues to chug along and opefully we'll see OpenSkyrim before we know it. ;)

This completes my Linux gaming portfolio. Please feel free to post your answers to these questions. I'm sure the answers will vary based on the ages of all of us!
Hamish Jul 25, 2013
One of the GNOME games, probably. Add to that things like Frozen Bubble and Vulture's Eye as well.

Can't quite remember.

Dungeons of Dredmor Complete Pack and a little while ago the Rochard Humble Weekly Sale.

Not much until I get my main machine back up. Since you are counting source ports, one of the Jedi Knight ones was the last thing I played.
n30p1r4t3 Jul 25, 2013
Quoting: HamishWhat's the first game you played on Linux?
One of the GNOME games, probably. Add to that things like Frozen Bubble and Vulture's Eye as well.

I didn't include it, but the VERY first game I played on linux was connect 4 on Gnome.
Jul 26, 2013
Tron; came with Lindows (back in the day before it became Linspire): http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/gallery/games-tron334.php -- Some time around 2003-4.

First serious game was probably Unreal Tournament '99 -- I didn't stop playing that till 2008-9

Postal 2 from LGP -- was around 2007 I think (I'd previously pirated it for Windows)

The Raven from Steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/233370/ (not yet played it though). I tend to buy anything that appears on the /browse/linux page of the Steam store.

Can't think of one -- I've backed via Kickstarter every game that has announced a Linux port. I'm sure there will be others I've not heard of but none right now.

StarMade -- http://star-made.org/
n30p1r4t3 Jul 26, 2013
Quoting: edgleyWhats the next game you will purchase for Linux?
Can't think of one -- I've backed via Kickstarter every game that has announced a Linux port. I'm sure there will be others I've not heard of but none right now.

Seems like you've put a lot of money into Linux gaming. Respect +1
Hamish Jul 26, 2013
I missed this one:

What's the next game you will purchase for Linux?
Well, when I finally get around to emptying my Desura cart, I will finally get my hands on Salvation Prophecy and Paranautical Activity.
Jul 26, 2013
Quoting: HamishI missed this one:

What's the next game you will purchase for Linux?
Well, when I finally get around to emptying my Desura cart, I will finally get my hands on Salvation Prophecy and Paranautical Activity.

Salvation Prophecy is pretty good -- has a Star Wars Battlefront feel to it.

Not yet been able to get Paranautical Activity working though :(
Speedster Jul 26, 2013
What's the first game you played on Linux
I don't have a good enough memory to know what my first games were, free or commercial. Frankly I never found a free game yet that really kept my attention, unless you count the mud server where I spent a few years. In the early days I spent a good amount of time running DOS games under dosemu (dosbox didn't exist) so one of those could have been "first".

I played a lot of Heroes III, Heretic II, and Unreal Tournament from Loki Games (Heroes III ran on my Linux ibook!) and one of those may have been the first. NWN from TuxGames came later but was a huge favorite.

If you don't count kickstarters (since all recently funded games are still in progress), that would have to be the games in the Humble Double Fine Bundle: Stacking, Costume Quest, and Brutal Legend.

Portal and Portal 2

Embarrassing for a major free software enthusiast, but none.
n30p1r4t3 Jul 26, 2013
You guys play any games online? I play Left 4 Dead 2 a ton.
Liam Dawe Jul 26, 2013
Wow now this takes me back...to a point that I can't even remember, got my first Linux pc from my grandad back when I was about 15 so that's like ~10 years ago. It came with Mandrake 9.2 (before they merged to Mandriva) so probably one of the included games!

The first game I purchased was probably Quake 4 from tux games and I wish I never did, was overpriced for a bargain bin copy with a recorded cd of the free installer :/, wasn't very wise back then.

Last game I purchased for Linux, hmm possibly Garrys Mod. I buy a lot on a random thought so I may be wrong.

I play a lot of free games, currently testing Dungeon Colony in Alpha at the moment so it's free.
Liam Dawe Jul 26, 2013
Update: Now I remember, last game I purchased was King Arthur’s Gold in IGS.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.