Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Making Unity export exeutable
Eike Jun 11, 2019
Hi again!

We solved the video problems (automatic transform for OS targets did work out in the end, so it's obviously not obvious how to do it, as the developer didn't succeed in several attempts before...).

I wonder though how to give execution rights to the Unity export for Linux. Is it possible in Unity itself (it should default to it...)? If no, I'm not even sure which archive formats would transport Linux user rights nicely...

Ciao,
Eike
tuubi Jun 11, 2019
Even good old tar and zip preserve the executable bit just fine. Not that this matters if the game is going to be sold through one of the major storefronts, as they all have different ways and tools (often with public documentation) for uploading games and providing metadata for launchers. I've only got experience with Itch.io's butler myself. Their docs are nice and clear.
Eike Jun 13, 2019
Quoting: tuubiEven good old tar and zip preserve the executable bit just fine. Not that this matters if the game is going to be sold through one of the major storefronts, as they all have different ways and tools (often with public documentation) for uploading games and providing metadata for launchers. I've only got experience with Itch.io's butler myself. Their docs are nice and clear.

So it wouldn't make a difference for say Steam. because the store system cares for it?
Thanks!
tuubi Jun 13, 2019
Quoting: Eike
Quoting: tuubiEven good old tar and zip preserve the executable bit just fine. Not that this matters if the game is going to be sold through one of the major storefronts, as they all have different ways and tools (often with public documentation) for uploading games and providing metadata for launchers. I've only got experience with Itch.io's butler myself. Their docs are nice and clear.

So it wouldn't make a difference for say Steam. because the store system cares for it?
Thanks!
I've never uploaded to Steam myself, but after a quick glance at the docs on patner.steamgames.com, I'd say it's a safe bet.
Eike Jun 15, 2019
Could somebody - Tuubi? Cheeseness? - help the author to get his executable executable? I'm on vacation and he want to release... Please drop a note.
tuubi Jun 15, 2019
Quoting: EikeCould somebody - Tuubi? Cheeseness? - help the author to get his executable executable? I'm on vacation and he want to release... Please drop a note.
I don't mind helping if I can. Send me a private message or something.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.