Paradox - future of Linux support
Page: «2/4»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
I'm quite surprised, that sales for Paradox were dropping. How is that possible if Linux market is growing? This is also in contrast with Stardock developers, who claim that Linux situation is changing for the better.
Supay Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: GuestThat surprised me too. Maybe more games for Linux means less sales per game ?

I've said exactly that to Shams. Paradox was an early and high profile supporter, so naturally they would get more purchases as people had less choice. As others have gotten involved and the options are larger, even with a rise in Linux gamer numbers, they will be spread out in their purchasing habits, so this likely has led to it looking like flat growth or even a fall for an individual developer/publisher.
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: SupayI've said exactly that to Shams. Paradox was an early and high profile supporter, so naturally they would get more purchases as people had less choice. As others have gotten involved and the options are larger, even with a rise in Linux gamer numbers, they will be spread out in their purchasing habits, so this likely has led to it looking like flat growth or even a fall for an individual developer/publisher.

Did you ask them about their view on Stadia? If releasing for Stadia can incentivize them to spend money on developing for Linux, it should make it a lot easier to release for desktop Linux too.
Liam Dawe Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: Supay
Quoting: GuestThat surprised me too. Maybe more games for Linux means less sales per game ?

I've said exactly that to Shams. Paradox was an early and high profile supporter, so naturally they would get more purchases as people had less choice. As others have gotten involved and the options are larger, even with a rise in Linux gamer numbers, they will be spread out in their purchasing habits, so this likely has led to it looking like flat growth or even a fall for an individual developer/publisher.
Steam Play makes that worse though for sure, since a lot of people now buy games they otherwise wouldn't (me included in that). We're a small market, that Steam Play has basically spread out even further.
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: liamdaweSteam Play makes that worse though for sure, since a lot of people now buy games they otherwise wouldn't (me included in that). We're a small market, that Steam Play has basically spread out even further.

But I'm surprised it has such a bad impact on native Linux releases, which usually get more attention from Linux users than Wine use case.

I suppose market dip can be a necessary step to make the market grow later. I.e. eventually better compatibility will bring enough new users to compensate for breadth of games availability.
Supay Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlDid you ask them about their view on Stadia? If releasing for Stadia can incentivize them to spend money on developing for Linux, it should make it a lot easier to release for desktop Linux too.

Thanks, I did forget to ask so have added that to a list of queries I've already asked. I would have said that their strategy titles wouldn't fit Stadia, but they've done some great work pushing them to console already so it actually could be an option for them. And items such as Vampire I would think to be very popular and fit with Stadia.
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: SupayAnd items such as Vampire I would think to be very popular and fit with Stadia.

Yeah, VtM: Bloodlines 2 is a good fit, and if releasing for Stadia can help them release it for desktop Linux (by providing extra needed profits to cover Linux support expenses), it would be a good thing.
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: SupayThanks, I did forget to ask so have added that to a list of queries I've already asked.

Did you post those extra questions somewhere on Twitter? Just would like to monitor if there was any answer :)

I.e. I hope Shams Jorjani ‏won't miss your extra questions.
Liam Dawe Jun 17, 2019
No matter what, I think being positive about what they have done so far, is worth letting them know.

Remember: User complaints tend to be louder, users thanking is something developers still don't see enough of. It might seem silly but it goes a long way and I certainly adore Stellaris as a huge sci-fi nerd.
Supay Jun 17, 2019
I'm always thanking them, works better than complaining. And they are very transparent and friendly, and supported us well for years when many others didn't, so no need to give them grief. I'll still be very vocal to let them know we're here and want them to keep developing for us though. Engagement works best.

@Shmerl - it's in the chain with the link I posted in the original post. I'll ask again if he misses it.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.