Paradox - future of Linux support
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
Supay Jun 16, 2019
I initially posted this in the E3 article comments but that's a few days old so realised it might not get seen much there so reposting for the forum.

I had a brief chat on Twitter with Shams, the Paradox business chap and asked about their complete lack of Linux support on recent non-PDS developed titles. He's made it clear that Linux no longer has any business support in Paradox, which is really sad as they've been one of our biggest supporters as a publisher and developer. I also asked Ebba, their CEO, and she confirmed no Linux support for the new titles i.e. Vampire, Planetfall, Empire of Sin. I assume that as long as they're on the current Clausewitz engine we will see the current and future in-house PDS developer games still come to Linux, but that could still be dropped for future games as well, and if they move to a new engine version we should expect to lose any support for their new in-house titles.

Shams was the one who pushed for Linux internally at PDX and wanted it to succeed, so I doubt it was an easy decision, but he is a businessman. He did say they they always examine possibilities so they may revisit this in the future, but it seems we have lost one of our longest and strongest larger supporters.

Link here for confirmation:

Twitter Chat With Shams
Salvatos Jun 16, 2019
Sad news, but thanks for investigating and sharing the info!
Liam Dawe Jun 16, 2019
It is a shame but i only really enjoyed Stellaris from them directly anyway. However, I am sad that we won't see official support for Bloodlines in that case.

Shams has been saying for quite some time that he didn't see a point in Linux support. The person who originally help port their game engine doesnt even work at Paradox now either.
Supay Jun 16, 2019
I'm pretty sure I saw some jobs listed for then recently that included both developers and IT tech support with Linux as a requirement. So I'm hoping it's not a complete end.
einherjar Jun 16, 2019
Very sad, but when the market share won't rise, that is not really surprising :'(:'(:'(:'(
Predcnh Jun 16, 2019
Very very sad.

This means that they are not looking at stadia at all.
Shmerl Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: SupayShams was the one who pushed for Linux internally at PDX and wanted it to succeed, so I doubt it was an easy decision, but he is a businessman. He did say they they always examine possibilities so they may revisit this in the future, but it seems we have lost one of our longest and strongest larger supporters.

This sounds very bad. Even Stadia doesn't help them avoid dropping support? Can you please ask them that, if you have direct contacts.
SadL Jun 17, 2019
..I am a huge fan of many Paradox games (CK2, Stellaris, HOI4, EU4 - and some older ones through proton - especially the first 3..I have almost every dlc) ..these are extremely bad news for me..I hope they will reconsider..I obviously understand the business part of a decision like this but it hurts so much..
Arehandoro Jun 17, 2019
Can't keep up with so many recent bad news.
eldaking Jun 17, 2019
This is probably the worst gaming news I have received in years. :(

I was not expecting it, considering that their client already supports Linux (and even had an early beta for it). Or this dev diary where they mention how the game loads faster in Linux and Mac. I assumed it was ultimately up to the developers, but if it is the publisher's policy we are probably screwed.

Hopefully for PDS games it is not too much of a burden to keep doing it, or if they decide to reuse stuff from Prison Architect for the franchise. But this makes it unlikely that Paradox Tectonic, Triumph and Harebrained Schemes will choose it for new projects (Triumph already had said they regretted supporting Linux for AoW3, and Planetfall doesn't, so not a big surprise), or that games from third-party studios will do it unless they are really really committed.

I was thinking that Stadia doesn't make a lot of sense for Paradox (and that Vulkan doesn't really matter), but for games like Bloodlines or even Battletech it does make sense. So it is worse than I thought...

It's all up to Valve now. Will games work with Proton? Will they do something so amazing that developers will want to support Linux again?
Liam Dawe Jun 17, 2019
Quoting: ArehandoroCan't keep up with so many recent bad news.
So many? There hasn't been a lot of bad news lately?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.