You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
  Go to:
Testing new Mesa ACO shader compiler for AMD
entropie commented on 22 July 2019 at 6:48 am UTC

It runs shamelessly brilliant now, I am totally intrigued. After the initial very low shader stutters, the game runs like a charm. FPS is still borked by the game itself, lacking optimization but that is for most windows users as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw7FQNMsbxw

lod commented on 22 July 2019 at 10:47 am UTC

entropieIt runs shamelessly brilliant now, I am totally intrigued. After the initial very low shader stutters, the game runs like a charm. FPS is still borked by the game itself, lacking optimization but that is for most windows users as well.

Is it just as slow in Windows?

entropie commented on 22 July 2019 at 10:53 am UTC

lod
entropieIt runs shamelessly brilliant now, I am totally intrigued. After the initial very low shader stutters, the game runs like a charm. FPS is still borked by the game itself, lacking optimization but that is for most windows users as well.

Is it just as slow in Windows?

The fps situation is weird and has no linear conclusion. On some old GPUs it may perform with 80 fps, while on a 2080Ti it suddenly runs with 45 fps. It can be vice versa tho as well. With every update the framerate changes again. In 3.5, I got 60 fps, while quantum travelling, in 3.6 I get 45 fps. If the server is full of players, fps tend to drop as well, tho I am having latencies of 35 ms. It's a mess with no clear logic behind it.

Imo the technical maximum for my Vega should be 50 - 70 fps with this game @1080p and all settings maxed out. About 10 fps lower on WQHD. The tenor at the moment is that the graphics engine is not optimized. So you have areas like Lorvile or Area 18, where your frames are always low.

But even if the game runs at 25 fps it is not lagging or terrible slow, its absolutely playable.

How it runs on Windows, idk, I dont have Windows, I only can reflect what other people say. Its tho definitly running as good on Linux now as on Windows with mesa-aco. I can perfectly play it now and shoot some pirates.

P.S.: if you watch windows videos on the game, you will see small shader stutter aswell, so the game is very hungry in that regards and not optimized. Mesa-aco almost has reached this quality tho, too .

chancho_zombie commented on 22 July 2019 at 7:43 pm UTC

ShmerlInteresting results. Using aco, vs Mesa master vs latest amdvlk in TW3 with dxvk master, aco was actually behind this time, but slightly.

that confirms what I suspected, there were some improvements in AMDVLK.

Shmerl commented on 22 July 2019 at 8:46 pm UTC

Yes, amdvlk has improved. but that's just for framerate, I didn't measure stutter levels vs radv/aco.

massatt212 commented on 23 July 2019 at 1:25 am UTC

you guys should try AMDGPU pro driver 19.20, shaders compile so fast but some games has graphical bugs like unreal engine 4 games, its almost stutter free

Shmerl commented on 23 July 2019 at 5:12 pm UTC

LinuxwarperMy small tests:

TALOS Principle: 75.6 - 76.4(ACO)
The Witcher 3: 77 - 82 (ACO)
PREY (demo) : 69 - 73 (ACO)

General note: Games stuttered alot without ACO when running for first time or when they had not been played for a while. To a point games would freeze a frame briefly. With ACO the stuttering was noticeably less to say the least.

Please post hardware specs and screenshots with HUDs for better visibility. Thanks!

Linuxwarper commented on 23 July 2019 at 5:16 pm UTC

Yes sir. I will repost soon Deleted initial post because I want to redo whole process again.

Linuxwarper commented on 23 July 2019 at 6:37 pm UTC

SPECS:
RX 580 Nitro 4GB
Intel I7 4770k with 8GB memory
Kde Neon 5.16 with 5.0 Kernel
ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/pkppa

ACO will be second screenshot

The Witcher 3

PREY demo (2017)

THE TALOS PRINCIPLE

Shmerl commented on 23 July 2019 at 6:41 pm UTC

btw, you can use Mesa Vulkan HUD for framerate and frametimes.

VK_INSTANCE_LAYERS=VK_LAYER_MESA_overlay

The more even are frametimes, the better.

DXVK_HUD can also show frametimes. I use something like:

DXVK_HUD=devinfo,version,fps,gpuload,frametimes,memory

Go to:

You need to Register and Login to comment, submit articles and more.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams
  • Tac Tics: „SteamWorld Heist“
  • Date:
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Comments
Latest Forum Posts