Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Removing Ubuntu
sr_ls_boy Jul 5, 2019
Ubuntu 18.10 will reach end of life in less than two weeks! I'm still on 18.04 on
a hard drive. I'm looking to switch to maybe debian testing.

My question is will the installer let me install without reformatting the drive?
I can move everything to a temporary folder which the installer will not see, nor
write over. Plus, I can remove everything from my efi system partition.

Can debian do it? If not, than how about another distribution?
slaapliedje Jul 5, 2019
So, assuming you've created a separate /home partition, keep that and re-install over the other partitions. Partition editor is fairly straight forward, though I've seen better ones.

By the way, I think 'testing' (also known as Buster) should be releasing this weekend? So that is great timing.
sr_ls_boy Jul 6, 2019
No, I did not create a separate /home partition.
Hence, my dilemma. I've got plenty of time
to think about this.

Below is a partial dump from fdisk.
Ubuntu chose the layout. I didn't.

Spoiler, click me

Disk: 1.8 TiB
Disklabel type: gpt

Device Size Type
/dev/sda1 512M EFI System
/dev/sda2 1.8T Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3 8G Linux swap
Mnoleg Jul 6, 2019
Quoting: sr_ls_boyUbuntu 18.10 will reach end of life in less than two weeks! I'm still on 18.04 on
a hard drive...
Are you aware that 18.04 is a long term support version? It won't reach end of life until 2028.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
denyasis Jul 6, 2019
Well, if you are still interested in changing to another distro, do you have a external drive or place you can backup your /home directory?

It's been a while for me with Debian, but most installers will let you dual-boot. You could then move your /home or anything you want to the new installation, then remove the Ubuntu partitions to reclaim space. Its not ideal, but it could work if you don't have a way to back up your data.

Good luck!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.