Anyone with Asrock X570 Taichi - can you see chipset temperature?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Shmerl Sep 2, 2019
Just finished my build (Asrock X570 Taichi / Ryzen 9 3900X), and one thing that's a bit confusing is chipset temperature. I figured it could be SMBUSMASTER 1, but it's always around 60°C for me, regardless of the chipset fan profile (silent or normal and etc.) which is suspicious.

So may be senors are giving some bogus data. In UEFI, chipset temperature is close, but fluctuates around 60°C. Sensors on the other hand gives flat value.
Shmerl Sep 2, 2019
I think SMBUSMASTER 1 is the correct sensor, but it strangely doesn't go above 60°C. I did manage to lower it though! The problem was the GPU.

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700XT by default has very passive fans profile, and runs quite hot on idle. Using radeon-profile I enabled better cooling fan curve, and chipset temperature went down! GPU is basically right in front of the flat heatsink on X570 Taichi, and when it's hot, it affects everything from the chipset to nvme drive that sit under that metal plate).
Shmerl Sep 6, 2019
Actually I've seen chipset jump above 60°C now, so it's not capped. I suppose SMBUSMASTER 1 is OK then.
buono Sep 8, 2019
Hi Shmerl, I know its off topic but was just wondering if you are going to post some superposition benchmarks for the pulse 5700xt.
Shmerl Sep 8, 2019
I can give it a try.
buono Sep 8, 2019
Thanks, I'm thinking of getting the none xt model later in the week, to give my rx 480 a break.
Shmerl Sep 8, 2019
Looks like it's OpenGL only though, so I'd say not as useful these days. Downloading it now.
buono Sep 8, 2019
Cheers, will take a look later this evening. Heading out now.
Shmerl Sep 8, 2019
Here is the result. I've never tested it before, so not sure how it compares to other cards:

buono Sep 8, 2019
Thanks Shmerl, the benchmarks thread in the forums here suggest 1080 extreme for comparison and no-one has entered an rx5700. I'm guessing with your rig you should get in the top ten. I am also curious how quiet you find the card and how significant the difference is between the dual bios settings.
I have been a big fan of the open source drivers and have had a great experience with several amd cards now. The pulse looks like the one to get, but it would just be nice to get an opinion from someone using the open source linux driver.
Thanks again.
Shmerl Sep 8, 2019
The card is pretty quiet. But I also have a new case, and I suspect thick walls contribute to general noise dampening. It's surprisingly quiet overall, even on full load (more than my previous case). Though I also made sure to replace case fans with Noctua ones (200 mm), and to use rubber connectors on them instead of metal screws. It's supposed to lower noise as well.

One thing to note. The GPU basiclaly stops fans rotation when under low load, and runs at around 50-51°C. When under load, fans start rotation. 50°C is a bit high to my taste, but to lower it, I'd need to use radeon-profile for the custom fan curve.

It might be not so bad after all, since the only downside is that heat spreads to the metal heatsink on the motherboard, that covers X570 chipset and NVMe drive. So because of that, NVMe runs at around 45°C on idle. When I set custom fan curve for the GPU, NVMe drive temperature drops to 35°C or so. Probably not very critical difference though.

I haven't tested the second BIOS with that switch. I simply put it to more performant one.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.