You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Stadia Founders Thread
Page: 1/4»
  Go to:
drlamb Oct 7, 2019
A thread aimed at those who have pre-ordered the Stadia Founders Edition to discuss their justifications for doing so.

I'll start.

QuoteQuestion: What is your home internet?

I happen to be blessed with a Fiber internet connection (1000/1000 Mbps) and enough expendable income to experiment.

QuoteQuestion: Am I giving up Steam/GOG/Local Gaming?

No. I love building computers and tuning the operating system. It's what I do every day. I'm always going to have a local machine to run games for as long as ODMs continue to make modular PC components. High-end VR is also a hell of a drug and impossible to deliver from the cloud (yet).

QuoteQuestion: Why did you purchase the Stadia founders edition (then)?

Do I support the future where we don't own our games? No. But, at this current time I don't truly "own" most of my games as the majority of my library is on Steam anyway. I do however support the future of Linux gaming. And it is my hope that showing interest in Stadia will also cause more Linux-native releases and development around Linux in general. If a game is on Steam, I will play it on Steam bar none. (new SteamOS when valve?)

My only fear is that certain games will be Stadia-locked due to proton incompatibilities to prevent this goal. For example:

Destiny 2: Doesn't Run on Proton (yet), Launch day title for Stadia (and included since it's also F2P).

Red Dead Redemption 2: Rockstar's new launcher (and potential new DRM) pose an uncertain proton compatibility, launch title for Stadia (and likely without the equivalent launcher).

But back on track, I love Valve and their contributions to Linux Gaming. My interest in Stadia is also due to my interest in the technology such as the special controller and the "Console" as a service in the cloud. Stadia as a service is how the industry is trending and I truly believe the future is the data center. It's also exciting as an AMD fan to watch them succeed and continue to push their Linux support forward. I'm highly interested in how they're orchestrating these instances.

At the end of the day competition in this space is needed to compete with PSN, XBOX, and Geforce Now and I welcome the experiences only Google/Stadia can deliver with Linux.

It'll also be interesting to see Google's work with Debian in parallel to Valve who have stated they're rather tired of Debian's toolings.

I just meant this as a rough jot of some of my thoughts on why I pre-ordered Stadia. Feel free to add any questions.
thoughtfulhippo Oct 7, 2019
I've been on the fence about Stadia for a while, but I just pre-ordered today, and then saw your post here.

The reasons why I'm interested are:

• Being able to play Borderlands 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 on Linux. I don't see either of those titles coming to Linux anytime soon, and while Borderlands 3 runs on Proton, I'm not prepared to put money Epic's way and use a tool that Valve developed.

• Being able to play those games on differently capable devices. I have two kids, a desktop rig (that, shamelessly, I also need for work), one game capable laptop (just), an ultraportable, and several tablets. There are often disagreements over whose turn it is on the laptop (when I'm working).

• Get a Chromecast which I was considering purchasing anyway

• It'll be like a family xmas present (also I can save by not spending a fortune on Steam sales)

The reasons why I'm apprehensive:

• It's not obvious which games are actually included with Stadia Pro (other than Destiny 2). I've seen the list of games available at launch, but not seen any confirmation these are free on Pro, or "available to buy".

• I've no idea what the quality of the experience will be like. I've decent cable internet, but 1080p will be good enough.

• The controller is proprietary, and not usable with anything else.

While I have reasonable faith Google will deliver, it does feel like I'm backing a Kickstarter project with an unknown outcome, rather than buying a product.
Redface Oct 9, 2019
I ordered the foundation edition to try new stuff out, I am interested in games getting streamed, but none of the other solutions yet seemed for me, I do not want to use Windows for it. If it turns out I will not use it much then I think I still get some money for the chromecast and controller, or find other uses for it.

I will still buy native games, just as I also still buy movies despite having several streaming subscriptions.
And I do not think I will buy any of the games on Stadia, but I am ok with a subscription that will give me access to some games, and then I can cancel and resubscribe at a later time. Ubiplay+ will also come to Stadia next year so more games to rent, https://www.androidauthority.com/ubisoft-uplay-plus-google-stadia-997086/
Liam Dawe Oct 9, 2019
QuoteQuestion: What is your home internet?
350Mbps down/20Mbps up - should be plenty for it, sat right next to my router with wired networking...

QuoteQuestion: Am I giving up Steam/GOG/Local Gaming?
Lol no. Nothing will replace a good local PC for sooooo many reasons.

QuoteQuestion: Why did you purchase the Stadia founders edition (then)?
For GamingOnLinux work, gotta keep up with the times ;) - if it runs on Linux well, we need to know about it.

I'm still totally unsure if I will ever use it for personal play. I suppose that depends on how good the experience is.

What worries me, is hardware acceleration not being in Chrome on Linux, just how much of an issue is this going to cause? Extra lag on the video, extra input lag, what? Chrome need to sort that out and soon.

If it does work though, it will be a way for me to play a few games that are mostly online that are likely years away from working in even Steam Play (and Stadia exclusives from their first-party dev studios).
drlamb Nov 19, 2019
My kit will be here today. Is there anything in particular anyone wants to see/know?

I'm really hesitant to buy Red Dead Redemption 2, Borderlands 3, or Metro Exodus out of fear for a native Linux release/proton support eventually.

I have hope for BL3 considering they never truly announced macOS support until it launched. It is my hope that gearbox will do the same thing for Linux, but right now that would require a Linux port of the Epic launcher which doesn't seem likely.
Ehvis Nov 19, 2019
Quoting: drlambMy kit will be here today. Is there anything in particular anyone wants to see/know?

Mostly general impressions about the quality of the gaming experience. I'm also curious about Stadia store pricing.

Quoting: drlambI have hope for BL3 considering they never truly announced macOS support until it launched. It is my hope that gearbox will do the same thing for Linux, but right now that would require a Linux port of the Epic launcher which doesn't seem likely.

If the mac port is handled by Aspyr again (or Feral since they did the mac port of BL1), then it might just be on Steam. Which would be fine for Linux as well.
drlamb Nov 19, 2019
Quoting: EhvisIf the mac port is handled by Aspyr again (or Feral since they did the mac port of BL1), then it might just be on Steam. Which would be fine for Linux as well.

According to this, the mac port was done in-house. Which gives me more hope honestly.
Salvatos Nov 19, 2019
Quoting: drlambI have hope for BL3 considering they never truly announced macOS support until it launched. It is my hope that gearbox will do the same thing for Linux, but right now that would require a Linux port of the Epic launcher which doesn't seem likely.
Why port the EGS launcher? Epic doesn’t care about releasing games on Linux and we know the game is coming to Steam in a few months.

Either way I expect nothing from Aspyr since they’ve been dead silent for months. I’m just hoping Steam will make it run well on Proton quickly like they did with Rage 2.

As to your question, if you intend to make videos of your experience, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey is the main game I’d be interested to watch besides those you ruled out. I don’t think I have any specific questions at this time, but I’m also vaguely curious to see how much RAM etc. Stadia uses :)
drlamb Nov 20, 2019
Quoting: drlamb[...] right now that would require a Linux port of the Epic launcher

Because BL3 is not on Steam until April. If Epic/gearbox wanted to release a Linux version of BL3 coinciding with the launch of the stadia version in days time they'd need a Linux version of the Epic launcher. That's all I was saying.

----

BL3 aside, I got my controller yesterday but received my code rather late so I couldn't get more into it. I was able to set up the chromecast ultra and the controller with ease and Destiny 2 and Samurai Showdown just...work. It's rather amazing.

Granted I have fibre, but I couldn't tell I wasn't running the game locally. The only thing I will say is that the aiming down sights within Destiny 2 (my first time playing on ANY platform) feels a little weird with the controller. I don't quite know how to describe it other than say that I need to do some more testing with other input methods and likely increase my controller sensitivity. It's a shame that stadia players are separate from other Destiny 2 players but that's not Google's fault. I had hoped to play along with my brother on steam.

Now I just need to convince myself to buy a game/test the return window. I hear that the stadia port of Metro Exodus doesn't run the best and that's a real shame as for $20 I wouldn't mind that being "the game" I play exclusively via streaming.

Comments and Concerns so far:
  • Some games have full on pc-port-like settings menus, while others do not.
  • Some games can be additionally tuned within the Stadia App
  • The ChomeCast Ultra's CIC is hyper aggressive and causes my TV to switch inputs back to the CC regardless of what input I select
  • The loading times are fantastic

Setup:
4K TV
CCU hard wired via cat6, though it tops out at 100Mbps as the cc's Ethernet uses USB 2.
Stadia Controller, wifi.
Liam Dawe Nov 21, 2019
My Stadia has arrived. No code, so completely fucking useless. Their customer service has so far been the worst of any launches.

I've been through: Xbox, Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Steam Machine/SteamOS - Stadia is by far the worst launch so far of them all.

Last edited by Liam Dawe on 21 November 2019 at 3:23 pm UTC
Apparition_B5 Nov 21, 2019
My Stadia and second Stadia controller shipped yesterday, and I received my code via e-mail a few hours later.

I can't believe that it requires a mobile app to sign up and to buy games in. There's a web site, but apparently you can only use that to play games in. Oh, and the user name I wanted was already taken.

So far I am very unimpressed.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.