AMD Rewards Program
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Oct 8, 2019
QuoteThank you for contacting AMD Rewards Support,

Unfortunately our PVT program is only compatible with Windows at this time. In order to redeem your coupon code you need to be on a Windows operating system.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,

AMD Rewards

I asked them nicely if I could get the codes some other way or get a voucher in compensation, but apparently no, we Linux users can't obtain the games.

If anyone has a Windows partition and a RX 5700, I have two coupons to give. Drop me a DM if interested.
drlamb Oct 8, 2019
Quoting: Arehandoro

Unfortunately our PVT program is only compatible with Windows at this time. In order to redeem your coupon code you need to be on a Windows operating system.

Regards,

AMD Rewards

I asked them nicely if I could get the codes some other way or get a voucher in compensation, but apparently no, we Linux users can't obtain the games.

If anyone has a Windows partition and a RX 5700, I have two coupons to give. Drop me a DM if interested.

I mean I'll take the codes if you really don't want them, but really you can use a Windows2Go USB to run windows long enough to validate the code. That's how I have to update the bios of my laptop. If you're unwilling to do this I'll do it for you and send you the key.

Edit: For context I just did this for Borderlands 3 myself. Gave it away as a Xmas gift.
Arehandoro Oct 9, 2019
Quoting: drlamb
Quoting: Arehandoro

Regards,

AMD Rewards

I mean I'll take the codes if you really don't want them, but really you can use a Windows2Go USB to run windows long enough to validate the code. That's how I have to update the bios of my laptop. If you're unwilling to do this I'll do it for you and send you the key.

Edit: For context I just did this for Borderlands 3 myself. Gave it away as a Xmas gift.

Interesting, I didn't know that would work! I'll give it a go then. Thanks a lot!
skywalkershand Aug 22, 2020
Hi, I have the same problem as you described. I got an new AMD CPU / CPU gaming system because of their Linux-Support. Now my reward is behind a "Windows-License-Paywall". Nobody told me that before. It is "not" about the free game, I am not willing to accept this, and I am not willing to mess around with MS-Bloatware. eMailing the support only generated generic "our reward program is currently windows only" messages. Totally unacceptable. Any ideas, suggestions? Thank you for listening / help.
damarrin Aug 22, 2020
How does that work btw? is there a win app you have to use to redeem the codes or something?
GustyGhost Aug 22, 2020
An angle to consider is that rewards programs (of any variety, all the way down to your local grocery store) typically exist to coax individuals into accepting some sort of tracking. If you can study the behavior and habits of your customer, you will be better able to sell to them.

Now, I don't know the specifics of these AMD codes or rewards program, but I imagine the goal here is for them to be able to tie the sold hardware to a unique identity. If this is the case, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to get these "free" games.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=mmPFy3l-oaI
tuubi Aug 22, 2020
For the rewards I got from my old RX580 all I had to do was to register on the AMD rewards site and claim the Steam keys with my reward codes. I gave the keys away but apparently they worked fine. With my 5700XT I got an Epic store key for some big new game I already forgot, but I kinda just let it expire. If it wasn't an Epic key might have bothered trying, and found out that the validation process has changed.
skywalkershand Aug 22, 2020
How does that work btw? is there a win app you have to use to redeem the codes or something?

>You have to create / register via eMail-Account and after that you have to download (in an 2 hour timeframe) a windows-only-app which (i think) creates an verification code.

@GustyGhost: youre right here, and its definitely not about the free game. It is about feeling a 2nd (3rd) class customer and i am not willing to accept this. This is one (tiny) piece in the puzzle why are not more Linux Gamers aka FOSS-Users.
Koopacabras Aug 22, 2020
I bought a 5600 xt recently but received no coupon. As I understand is only on select resellers right? maybe the one I bought from doesn't participate.
skywalkershand Aug 26, 2020
...been a few day on holidays / offline and today i found this in my inbox:

Unfortunately our PVT program is only fully compatible with Windows at this time. However, we've recently created a beta version of a PVT on Linux. Use the link below to download.

The shell script only generated an error that it cannot verify my AMD product, and i contacted support again. But this was lot more than i expected, so i am happy for now.

Last edited by skywalkershand on 26 August 2020 at 4:10 pm UTC
skywalkershand Aug 31, 2020
So here the story continues ...
- eMail from support that i have to submit invoice and code-mail, Done!
- eMail from support that i have no AMD product purchased ...
- eMail to support that this is wrong ...
- eMail from support with new transaction code and a short "sorry for any trouble..."

Transaction code is working, and ... surprise ..., the games are not interesting to me, but this was not the goal.

... its sometimes hard to walk the left hand path!
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.