Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
Graphical glitches with Nier Automata on Steam Play / Proton
TobyGornow Oct 17, 2019
Hi,

I was currently playing Nier Automata on my GTX 970 without any problem except for the low FPS on the latest Proton 4.11-7

After installation of my brand new 5700xt, the latest kernel 5.4-RC3, Mesa 19.3-devel and vulkan-mesa-drivers I've got :

Graphics:
  Device-1: AMD driver: amdgpu v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: amdgpu,ati 
  unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,radeon,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
  OpenGL: 
  renderer: AMD NAVI10 (DRM 3.35.0 5.4.0-050400rc3-generic LLVM 9.0.0) 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 19.3.0-devel (git-4857d69 2019-10-17 bionic-oibaf-ppa)

On the Linux side, everything is smooth as butter, with Nier it's another story.
Performance is great but...

The minimap is all over the place in game and in the menu.

I tried every Proton version, changing resolution, messing with the settings and nothing. So I don't think it's a DXVK thing.

Did I miss something during the installation of the GPU ? If not, who's the culprit so I can try to downgrade it, Mesa ? Kernel ? Mesa-Vulkan-Drivers ?

In my inxi -G I don't have anything for OpenGl, could it be that I forgot an element ?

If I didn't do anything wrong, where should I report the glitches ?

Thanks in advance for your input.
damarrin Oct 17, 2019
AMD innit.
TacoDeBoss Oct 17, 2019
Can reproduce on my Navi 10 with amd-drm-staging-next kernel and mesa-aco-git for navi.

TobyGornow Oct 17, 2019
It seems we just have to be patient, merging of the fix is pending on Mesa Gitlab.

EDIT :

Link : https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/merge_requests/2357
TacoDeBoss Oct 17, 2019
Looks like it was merged recently, I'll wait for it to flow back to Valve's ACO branch.
TobyGornow Oct 17, 2019
Quoting: TacoDeBossLooks like it was merged recently, I'll wait for it to flow back to Valve's ACO branch.

Yep ! Got it when I got back home. Working like a charm, sweet constant 60 FPS all the way with llvm.

About ACO, can I test it with Mesa 19.3 mainline or do I have to go the valve branch way ?
I thought it was merged in mainline, so I tried setting up an environment variable as told in the valve ACO testing post but with no success. Is there another way ?
TacoDeBoss Oct 18, 2019
Quoting: TobyGornowAbout ACO, can I test it with Mesa 19.3 mainline or do I have to go the valve branch way ?
I thought it was merged in mainline, so I tried setting up an environment variable as told in the valve ACO testing post but with no success. Is there another way ?
I know basic support was merged recently but I don't think it's fully enabled on mesa master yet. I prefer having ACO over having the latest commits from mesa-master, so I use the aco-navi version on GitLab with a custom made PKGBUILD for my arch system.
TobyGornow Oct 18, 2019
Quoting: TacoDeBoss
Quoting: TobyGornowAbout ACO, can I test it with Mesa 19.3 mainline or do I have to go the valve branch way ?
I know basic support was merged recently but I don't think it's fully enabled on mesa master yet. I prefer having ACO over having the latest commits from mesa-master, so I use the aco-navi version on GitLab with a custom made PKGBUILD for my arch system.

Ok thanks for the link, I will try it as soon as I'm finished with Nier Automata, everything is working fine and I don't want to break anything.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.