Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Future of gol servers?
woox2k Jan 6, 2020
Looking at the server info page makes me sad a bit. There are only 2 servers not many people play on and after hearing even the Rust server might go away i started thinking about how things could be better. This community is full of awesome people and it would be great if we somehow got some of them to play together. I know that keeping up a bunch of servers is expensive and not really an option for this community. Also why even waste resources on servers where only 1-2 people are playing?
What if we had a monthly thing where we had like 1-2 servers online and different games get rotated each month? (Interval could change based on popularity too ofc) Deciding what servers to run would be based on voting, popularity, Steam sales etc. Having different games each month...ish would keep things fresh and gives every gol member a chance to play a game they like with other gol people. If money becomes an issue (it usually does) then we could even set up a donation system before setting up that game or just find a game that a community member can host. I'd imagine that if hosting a serv would not mean a long-term commitment, there would be bit more interest doing it.
Heck, GOL is big enough that maybe some devs would even share keys to get their game into this rotation if that gets big enough thing (wishful thinking) In reality i don't see it having big downsides besides the obvious ones like finding people to organize it overall and possible money restriction. I may be totally wrong though...

What do you think about it? Wold it be interesting, possible, pointless etc.?
Liam Dawe Jan 6, 2020
I've actually been thinking of opening up the server page, to allow people to add/edit/remove servers easily, rather than just a plain list I have to manually edit.

This way, we can have a centralised placed to find Linux community servers. Thoughts?
woox2k Jan 6, 2020
My idea was to inspire people play the same games together so there would be no need to have hundred servers. On the other hand these community servers will always be there and it would be good to have a place to advertise them on. So i like that idea, but also keep suggesting mine too :)
wiox Jan 21, 2020
I would love to put up a server there for the community.
I do host a Minecraft server (play.linux.pizza) that I would like to see some activity on.

Maybe, if people could fill out a form that's get reviewed by staff first?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.